Can I be completely honest with you? I never knew how important it is to know about the cookware material and coating until I have used my cookware wrongly. Now here comes the good part, we are here to offer you a detailed review on different cookware materials so that you can make a wise choice. Among all the cookware, I believe pans are a must-have kitchen cookware and carbon steel pans are surely the popular trend in the market. If you’re looking for chef pans instead, we have also written a good article on that!
So, what is a carbon steel pan? Often compared to a cast iron pan, a carbon steel pan is more versatile that usually requires seasoning before its first use. It is ideal for searing and browning. Read on to find out what I discovered about carbon steel and cast iron cookware.
Top selling carbon steel pan
Table of Contents
- Top selling carbon steel pan
- Little Known Way to Decide Whether You Need A Carbon Steel or Cast Iron Cookware
- 10 Best Buy Carbon Steel Pan Review 2020
- 1. Mauviel M’Steel Fry Pan
- 2. Lodge 12 Inch Seasoned Carbon Steel Skillet
- 3. Matfer Bourgeat Frying Pan
- 4. De Buyer MINERAL B Round Carbon Steel Fry Pan
- 5. Ballarini Professionale Carbon Steel Fry Pan
- 6. AUS-ION Skillet
- 7. SOLIDTEKNICS US-ION 12-inch Wrought Iron Skillet
- 8. Vollrath Carbon Steel 11″ Fry Pan
- 9.Lodge Manufacturing Company Carbon Steel Skillet
- 10. Imperial Home 8-pc Carbon Steel Pans & Pots Set
- The Ultimate Carbon Steel Pan Buying Guide-What To Look for It?
- What could you cook with a carbon steel pan?
Little Known Way to Decide Whether You Need A Carbon Steel or Cast Iron Cookware
Here’s a clue. If you are in favour of light cookware, then carbon steel pan is certainly your ideal choice as cast iron cookware is heavier. Next, you can look into the thickness of the pan. Generally, carbon steel pan is thinner and it can be heated and cooled down quicker. You can read more details on the comparison between carbon steel and cast iron cookware.
In this review, we are going to show the best 10 options you can have for high-quality carbon steel pans in the market.
10 Best Buy Carbon Steel Pan Review 2020
1. Mauviel M’Steel Fry Pan
- MADE IN FRANCE. Made of extra thick black steel /carbon steel. Iron handles. Excellent heat conduction –ideal for searing.
- HIGH PERFORMANCE. Commercial grade durability withstands high temperature allowing for longer preheating and excellent searing capabilities.
- NATURAL NON-STICK. Before first use, season the pan per manufacture recommendations. The pan will build up a natural nonstick property and darken overtime.
- CAN BE USED ON ALL COOKING SURFACES. Gas, electric, induction, halogen stovetops, and in the oven.
- GUARANTEE. All Mauviel products are guaranteed for life against any manufacturing defects for household use.
- Dimension: 17”x 9.5”x 2”
- Weight: 9.5 pounds
- Sturdy and able to withstand high temperature for a longer time
- Form non-stick surface through initial preparation procedure
- Not suitable for washing in the dishwasher
- Made in France
Being the renowned copper cookware manufacturer in France, Mauviel M’Steel collection is certainly your top choice non-stick carbon steel fry pan. The pans are made of made of extra thick carbon steel with riveted steel handles. You would fall in love with this carbon steel pan especially when you are searing, browning and even stir-frying as the carbon steel is an excellent heat conductor and it can withstand high temperature.
Since Mauviel products always strive for high performance, this carbon product is highly durable and it is designed to work on all cook tops such as gas, electric, induction, halogen stove tops, and in the oven.
Another prime feature of this carbon steel pan is the pan will build up a natural non-stick property. Here’s how you can do it. Before the first use, clean the pan with extremely hot water to remove the beeswax from the entire pan. You can use a paper towel to wipe the wax residue. Next, you need some flavorless oil to cover the bottom of the pan and heat it for 5 minutes for seasoning. Let the pan cool and drain the oil from the pan. Wipe the pan with some paper towels. Repeat the process a second time and your pan is ready for serve you in your kitchen.
To ensure your pan can serve you for a lifetime, you can follow these simple steps for ongoing care. You should wash your pan in hot water, wipe it with a soft sponge and dry it thoroughly after cooking. Then, you can store it a dry area. Never use any dish soap during the cleaning process. You should never remove the black layer that is formed at the bottom of the pan as it is a solid film that creates the non-stick surface.
You can be well-assured when you purchase the Mauviel Carbon Steel Pan as all products from Mauviel are guaranteed for life against any manufacturing defects for household use.
The Mauviel Carbon Steel Pan is certainly an excellent investment in your kitchen collection as it is a cookware with heritage quality for a lifetime.
2. Lodge 12 Inch Seasoned Carbon Steel Skillet
- 14 GAUGE CARBON STEEL heats quickly and retains heat for even cooking; best for searing and browning
- Use on gas, electric, induction stovetops, outdoor grills or open fire
- Seasoned with oil for a natural, easy-release finish that improves with use
- Easy care: hand wash, dry immediately, rub with cooking oil
- Made in USA; Approx. 12" diameter rim to rim/9.875" bottom
- Dimension: 20.2”x 12” x 3.5”
- Weight: 4.67 pounds
- Made from heavy gauge carbon steel
- Pre-seasoned and ready to use
- Able to withstand high heat, best for browning and searing
- Works well with different cooktops
- Made in the USA
Here comes the best among the cheapest carbon steel skillet, the Lodge 12 Inch Seasoned Carbon Steel Skillet. As a company constructing cast-iron cookware for more than a century, Lodge is now here to offer you the handy 12-inch seasoned steel skillet that is both affordable and read to use out of the box. Unlike the other carbon steel skillets in the market, each Lodge skillet is pre-seasoned with natural soy bean oil. If you are a vegan or having a peanut allergy, you do not need to hesitate in buying this product as the oil does not contain any animal fat or peanut oil.
The non-stick cooking surface will constantly improve after each use. Undoubtedly, this surface is safe to use with metal objects, like knives, forks and spatulas. Another highlight of this product is that it is highly durable with excellent heating properties. With its high density 12 gauge carbon steel, you can heat up the pan quickly and even retain the heat for even cooking.
Being a highly effective and versatile cookware, you will not be surprised if we say this carbon steel skillet is perfect for professional, home or camp use. With its ability of withstand and maintain very high temperature, you will find this skillet works exceedingly well with all heat sources like the electric and induction cooktops, professional gas ranges and even campfires. Though it is not suitable for microwave ovens, it is your right tool for searing, sautéing, simmering, braising, baking, roasting, and frying.
You will certainly feel the difference once you hold this carbon steel skillet. Its handle does not only offer a comfortable grip, it is also attached to the skillet with 3 secure rivets. The handle angle is also very conducive for both stove top and oven cooking.
Furthermore, it requires only easy care to preserve this carbon steel skillet. Simply wash this pan with mild soap. Next, dry it immediately and thoroughly with a paper towel. You also need to rub the pan with a very light layer of cooking oil when the cookware is still warm. Lastly, just hang or store it in a dry place.
Your loved ones and you certainly deserve what the Lodge Carbon Steel Skillet can offer and serve in your daily meals!
3. Matfer Bourgeat Frying Pan
- VARIETY OF USES: Brings top-notch heat distribution and temperature control, preserving the vitamins and nutrients in your foods, making it excellent for searing meats, browning omelets, grilling fish, and cooking a wide range of dishes, even desserts
- NATURAL NON-STICK MATERIAL: Made of of black carbon steel, a natural mineral material promoting healthy cooking making this pan free of any harsh chemicals or coatings, PTFE and PFOA free , and once seasoned, becomes exceedingly non-stick
- DURABLE CONSTRUCTION: The steel handle is welded to pan's body for extra strength and security, is free of rivets, preventing bacteria from being trapped certifying sanitary use, and its angled design makes it ideal for easily sauteing, stirring, and mixing your dishes
- HIGHLY COMPATIBLE & VERSATILE: This steel pan can also withstand and maintain exceedingly high temperatures, as it can be used on all hob and stove types, even induction
- MADE IN FRANCE: Ensures high standards for durability, performance, and hygiene for both commercial and residential use
- Diameter: 11 7/8 ”
- Weight: 4.11 pounds
- Made of heavy duty carbon steel
- Feature sturdy long strip handle
- Need to be seasoned prior the first use to acquire non-stick surface
Well-known as the global industry leader in professional kitchens and laboratories, Matfer Bourgeat is here to offer you their French commercial grade carbon steel frying pan. Made of heavy duty carbon steel, this incredible carbon steel pan is built to last. On top of this, you will be able to hold the pan firmly as it features an extra strong steel strip handle. You can also use it on a variety of hobs ranging from electric, gas and induction as it can distribute heat excellently.
To form a non-stick surface and to ensure a long-lasting use, you will need to “season” the pan to remove the wax or grease coating. Before using for the first time, you should place the frying pan under hot running water for a few minutes and use some dish soap and bristle brush remove the protective layer. Dry the pan and put it on low heat to finish drying. To remove any remaining wax, you can add some oil, slices of potatoes and a large portion of salt and fry them over medium heat for a few minutes. After removing the ingredients, you can wipe the pan with a paper towel after cooling the pan. Repeat the steps if you still experience sticking.
As for cleaning, simply wipe and rinse the pan clean without using any dish soap or scrubbing. You can dry it on a warm burner and rub it with a light coat of oil. Simply regrease the pan and place it over high heat for about 10 minutes until the pan darkens if you accidentally scrub off some the patina.
4. De Buyer MINERAL B Round Carbon Steel Fry Pan
- Made of 99% iron, a natural mineral material
- Signature beeswax finish protects against oxidation
- Traditional French handle
- Made in France
- Origin France guaranteed
- Dimensions: 4.2 x 12.6 x 1.7″
- Weight: 5.8 pounds
- Made of 100% natural with 99% pure iron
- Naturally non-stick after seasoning, no chemicals added
- Comes with 2 handles
- Made in France
Shout out to all passionate home cook chefs! We have an exclusive recommendation for the best double handle natural carbon steel fry pan – the De Buyer MINERAL B Round Carbon Steel Fry Pan. Made of 100% natural with 99% pure iron, this carbon steel pan is certainly an eco-friendly product that comes with a bee wax finish. The addition of the wax is to fight against oxidation while helping in seasoning the pan. You should not be worried about the safety of the pan as it is coating-free (no PFAO or PTFE) with no added chemicals. As just a little over 12 inches, you can find this pan works well with searing steaks, browning and grilling chicken as it reaches high temperature fast and evenly.
What will you think of when I mention France? Most likely, your answer would be the Eifel Tower. Just as sturdy as the tower, the pan comes with 2 signature handles. The long handle has 3 rivets for better security while the helper handle gives us the ease to move and carry the pan, even when it is fully loaded. The ergonomically designed handles do not only offer easy grip and balance, the French curve design makes them ideal for sautéing, stirring and flipping.
As the pan comes with bee wax coating, here are some simple steps to remove it. First, place your pan on the stove and add peels of 3 potatoes for 15-20 minutes boiling. Then, pour out the water and lightly scrub the pan under hot running water with a sponge. Dry the pan with a paper towel and rub a very thin layer and oil around the pan. Cool the pan and repeat the steps for the second time and your pan is ready for cooking. You should constantly cook with this carbon steel pan as the more the pan is used, the better the performance of the non-stick surface.
Only minimal maintenance is needed as you can just clean it with a paper towel after cooking or using hot running water and a soft sponge. After that, simply oil your pan to ensure long-lasting use. Though it might be too heavy for certain users, it is practically designed to ease your cooking experience. You should wait no more and get this product NOW.
5. Ballarini Professionale Carbon Steel Fry Pan
- Durable, Thick construction
- Boasts unparalleled heat retention for perfect browning and frying; achieve the same results as cast iron with this lightweight option
- Superior flat base stability – pan will not bulge
- Sloped side walls offer easy tossing and sautéing
- Angled handles
- Dimensions: 18.5″x4.9″x9.6″
- Weight: 2.5 pounds
- Made of durable carbon steel
- Unparalleled heat conduction and retention
- Sloped side walls and angled handle offer easy tossing and sauteing
- Works well with all cooking surfaces
- Made in Italy
If you are a maniac in sautéing, we have here the best sautéing carbon steel fry pan, which is the Ballarini Professionale Carbon Steel Fry Pan. What makes it outstands among the other sautéing pan is its angled handles and sloped side walls. This surely helps to prevent your food from spilling and even helps in easy tossing.
Made of durable carbon steel with think construction, this premium carbon steel skillet is going to amaze you with its excellent heat conduction and retention for perfect browning and frying. Giving you the same result as the cast iron pan, you can work your meals out with this lightweight option. On top of this, the pan is able to withstand high temperatures on all cooking surfaces. This simply means that you can move these pans easily from any cook top to your oven or even serve it directly on the table. Mind that the pan is oven safe up to 600˚F.
What makes this carbon steel pan a must-have is that its smooth surface will naturally develop non-stick quality after repeated use with oil. Another advantage added for this pan is that is has superior flat base stability. You will never see the pan bulge, even after repeated use. So go ahead and experience how good this Italy’s top-selling brand cooks.
Interested in cast iron cookware instead? Check out our review of the best cast iron skillet for your kitchen.
6. AUS-ION Skillet
- 7" Skillet With Smooth Finish by AUS-ION is 100% made in Sydney from 3mm Australian Iron; even heating and no warping; healthy, durable, commercial quality cookware built to last for generations of use
- Seamless, one-piece, rivet-free construction; easy to clean and more hygienic; total length 14", skillet bowl 7" diameter & 2" deep
- Naturally pre-seasoned for a healthy nonstick option; ready to use, no stripping required; suitable for use at high heat with any heat source
- Ergonomic, wide and concave handle is more comfortable to use with better control and less hand fatigue; generous venting in neck reduces heat transfer for a cooler handle
- To clean: use wooden utensil or steel wool to lightly scrape pan under hot running water; dry thoroughly; do not use soap; new pans will benefit from additional seasoning after first few uses
- Dimension: 14″x 2″x 7″
- Weight: 1.8 pounds
- Material: one-piece Australian iron
- Feature ergonomic, wide and concave rivet-free handle
- Naturally pre-seasoned
- Works well on different heat surfaces
- Made in Sydney
Here’s the best splurge-worthy steel skillet you’ll never regret spending your money on the AUS-ION Skillet. Selling at a higher price, we assure you that it surely worth the money. This 7″ carbon steel skillet is built to last as it is made from one seamless piece of iron. Unlike the other carbon steel skillet, this skillet does not require any rivets to secure the handle. This manufacturer even offers a multi-century warranty for materials and manufacturing defects for every skillet you purchase. This is certainly a commercial quality cookware that will last for generations.
What amazes you more with this pan lies in its handle. The handle is ergonomically designed with broad and concave feature to make you less tiring when holding the pan. Adding its lightweight feature, you will found the pan easier to lift and control. Another feature which makes this pan with good money value is that it has generous venting in the neck. This will help to reduce heat transfer that give a cooler handle to grip.
The AUS-ION skillet is naturally pre-seasoned for a healthier non-stick option. It is not coated in protective oil, beeswax or lacquers. You do not waste any effort to strip, clean and season the skillet before the first use. It is ever ready to serve you once it arrives at your doorstep. As it is naturally non-stick, you can use the skillet at high heat with any heat source. The skillet heats evenly and thus it is also warp-resistant.
The AUS-ION skillet is certainly a perfect cookware for everyday cooking with high quality, comfortable to use and easy to clean features. This is surely a pan the professional chefs look for.
7. SOLIDTEKNICS US-ION 12-inch Wrought Iron Skillet
- SOLID 1/8-INCH WROUGHT IRON: Thicker than thin carbon steel pans for even heating and resistance to warping; Cooks and seasons like cast iron, only lighter!
- PATENTED DESIGN: Patented one-piece and rivet-free construction for improved hygiene and multi-generation heirloom durability; No food traps around rivets, no wobbly handles!
- HIGH THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY: Efficient and even heating on/in any heat source – induction to electric; Great on gas stovetops, BBQs, fire pits and any oven except microwaves!
- READY FOR SEASONING: Raw-finished and coated in natural beeswax for rust protection; Season yourself to build your own forever-renewable natural, non-stick pan
- MADE IN THE USA: Proudly made in Chicago; Crafted from 100% clean, heavy-metal-free USA sheet iron; Multi-century warranty
- Dimension: 22″x 12″x 2.5″
- Weight: 4.2 pounds
- Made of solid 1/8″ American Iron (very low carbon mild steel)
- Feature high heat conductivity and retention
- Feature one-piece and rivet-free design
- Made in the USA
Here’s the deal: we are not finished with high-end products which provide you the premium cooking experience. Here’s the best all-American wrought iron steel pan – SOLIDTEKNICS US-ION 12-inch Wrought Iron Skillet. Made of solid one piece 1/8-inch wrought iron, the pan heats quickly, evenly and most importantly, it can retain heat for a longer time. You can now sear your big steaks perfectly in this skillet. Needless to say, this pan is extremely durable with its seamless construction and rivet-free handle. Say no more to wobbly handles and food residue around the rivet heads.
This skillet is perfect from the beginning to the end as it is versatile for your everyday cooking needs. Whether you are frying eggs, steaks or roasts, this skillet is going to be your new go-to pan. This solid 3mm thick iron pans also works well on any heat source including induction, electric, gas stovetops, fire pits and any oven except microwaves! You can easily transfer the pan from stovetop to oven with its long ergonomic handle with neck ventilation.
As each pan is finished raw and lightly coated in natural beeswax for rust protection, simply season the pan to build your healthy, natural, and non-stick surface, which will get better and better after every use.
Your wallet will never feel disappointed in you if you purchase this product as it aims to bring comfort to your meal preparation.
8. Vollrath Carbon Steel 11″ Fry Pan
- Safe for use in oven or under a broiler
- Made in USA
- Height: 2"
- Diameter: 11"
- Permanently welded balanced handle
- Dimensions: 21.3″x 11.4″x 3.5″
- Weight: 1 pound
- Made of carbon steel
- Feature sturdy and firm-gripping handle
- Made in the USA
Here’s a real bargain for the best oven and broiler safe carbon steel pan, the Vollrath Carbon Steel 11″ Fry Pan. Featuring a classic French style appearance, this carbon steel pan is effective in conducting heat fast and evenly. You can cook steak, burgers, pork chops, salmon, broccoli, sliced carrots, and sunny side up eggs perfectly with little effort. What makes it even better that the pan is safe for use in oven or under a broiler.
As it has a permanently welded balanced handle, you can grip the pan comfortably and firmly while cooking. In addition, it is lightweight with its thin construction. You can easily control the pan as compared to thicker pans. We strongly recommend this pan as a starter pan for you.
9.Lodge Manufacturing Company Carbon Steel Skillet
- Heavy-duty 12 gauge carbon steel with steel riveted handles
- Seasoned for a natural, easy-release finish that improves with use
- The right tool to sear, saute, grill, roast, fry; great for induction cooktops
- Silicone hot handle holder protects Hands from heat up to 500-degrees F; dishwasher safe
- Dimensions: 21.1″x 12″x 3.9″
- Weight: 4.55 pounds
- Made of heavy duty carbon steel
- Suitable for induction cook tops
- Feature silicone heat holder handle
- Made in the USA
This might be the best heavy duty 12 gauge carbon steel pan available in the market. Made of heavy-duty 12 gauge carbon steel, this carbon steel skillet is built for the professional kitchens and is the right tool to sear, sauté, grill, roast and fry. This skillet is certainly your ideal choice if you constantly need to cook for a large portion like family gatherings and parties. This 12 inch carbon steel skillet is big enough for you to sear multiple steaks or toss a ton of pasta. We assure you that the crowd will be pleased with your serving.
Featuring a riveted handle, the handle also comes with an orange Lodge silicone hot handle holder. The holder will protect your hand from any heat up to 500 °F and it is dishwasher safe. Mind that the holder cannot be used in ovens or with direct flames. This skillet works great with induction cooktops too.
Similarly to some other products, this carbon steel skillet is pre-seasoned for a natural, easy-release finish. The coating will get better and better after repeated use. You will only need minimal effort in cleaning this skillet. Simply hand wash the skillet, dry in immediately and rub it with some cooking oil at last.
The Lodge Seasoned Carbon Steel Skillet is surely your go-to skillet for any home chef or camp cook.
If you are still in need of bigger carbon steel cookware, do check out our review on the best carbon wok to ease your cooking life.
10. Imperial Home 8-pc Carbon Steel Pans & Pots Set
- SET INCLUDES: 9.5 Qt Stock Pot with Stainer Lid one 7" Sauce Pan with Cover One 7" Dutch Oven with Glass Lid 9" Flat Fry and and 7" Frying Pan.
- COMFORTABLE HANDLES: Heat Resistance Bakelite Handles and Knobs.
- DISHWASHER SAFE- These pan and pot sets are safe to go in the dishwasher! Cleaning is that much easier since these non-stick frying pans and pots are completely dishwasher safe.
- LONG LASTING: This carbon steel cookware set is highly durable so it’s sure to last in your kitchen for years to come without rusting or tarnishing.
- QUICK & EVEN HEATING: This set of pots and pans conduct heat fast and evenly with accurate temperature distribution, food cooks faster and more evenly across the pan’s surface.
- Material: Non-stick coated carbon steel
- Comes with stock pot, sauce pan, dutch oven, flat fry and frying pan
- Provide quick and even heat distribution
- Feature bakelite handles and knobs
- All cookware is suitable for washing in the dishwasher
Guess what? If you are not contented with buying only one carbon steel pan, we are here to offer you the best among the cheapest carbon steel pans and pots set. The Imperial Home 8-pc Carbon Steel Pans & Pots Set gives you a 9.5″ stock pot with stainer lid, one 7″ sauce pan with cover, one 7″ dutch oven with glass lid, one 9″ flat fry and one 7″ frying pan. Made of high-quality material, this cookware set is built to last without any rusting and tarnishing.
This set of pans and pots comes in handy for your cooking life as they conduct heat fast and evenly. You can cook your food in no time while ensuring your food is cooked evenly on the pan surface. Looking into the coating, the non-stick coating takes away the use unhealthy cooking sprays like butter or oil to prevent food from sticking. On top of this, this cookware set is approved for healthy cooking as it is free from chemicals like PTFA, PFOA, lead, cadmium, and Teflon. This is surely a perfect set for a health-conscious user, especially if you are on diets that contain and limit the use of saturated fats like the Keto Diet.
To ease your kitchen experience, this cookware set is comfortable to grip and hold as each pan and pot are equipped with heat resistance bakelite handles and knobs. The ease does not stop here. Cleaning is easier as these pans and pots are safe to go in the dishwasher!
The Ultimate Carbon Steel Pan Buying Guide-What To Look for It?
In cooking our daily meals, we certainly need pans which have excellent heat conduction and retention so that we can cook out food quickly and evenly. Looking into the seasoning o the pan, you can opt for naturally pre-seasoned pans if you are not a patient chef and you are eager to use the pan right after you receive it. As for the handles, we are in favor with rivet-free design, ergonomic and also with neck ventilation. Here’s an extra tip on how you take care of your carbon steel pan. No matter which carbon steel pan you purchase, PLEASE BE AWARE that you need to dry your pan immediately after washing to prevent rusting. You can use paper towel or heating on the stove for drying. Consider and compare these factors along with the options available in the market before buying your ideal one.
What could you cook with a carbon steel pan?
Our editors have made a simple yet delicious pan seared salmon with our carbon steel pan! The high heat of the carbon steel pan has managed to make the salmon skin crispy while not overcooking the fish itself.
Your cooking life will never feel so good until you own a functional carbon steel pan. Start looking into our review here and grab yours one now. Change can be so comfortable when you start using the carbon steel pan. If you’re looking for a saucepan instead, we have also written an article on that!
Last update on 2021-04-12 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API