Cast Iron cooking has got enough popularity in the past few years. There are several reasons behind this, and the most prominent ones are: they are non-stick, doesn’t transfer any harmful toxins to the food being cooked, and most importantly they have a brilliant heat retention capacity, better than any other material. These qualities, along with several other benefits, make the cast iron cooking a great way to start a healthy living.
One utensil that we always use at home and that can be easily replaced by the cast iron substitute is the skillet. The cast iron skillets are extremely easy to use, easy to clean and you can try a variety of dishes on it.
However, if you are unable to decide which iron skillet you should go with, then here are a few recommendations that you can go for. You can also see the list for Best Electric Skillet 2019.
Best Cast Iron Skillet Reviews For 2019
Table of Contents
- Best Cast Iron Skillet Reviews For 2019
- 1. Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet (10-Inch) w/ Handle Cover By Cuisinel
- 2. Lodge 10.25 Inch Cast Iron Skillet
- 3. Utopia Kitchen Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet with Silicone Hot Handle Holder
- 4. Large Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet by Victoria
- 5. Calphalon Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Cookware, Skillet, 12-inch
- 6. Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet 12.5 Inch by Fresh Australian Kitchen
- 7. KINDEN Lightweight Cast Iron Skillet
- 8. T-fal E83407 Pre-Seasoned Nonstick Durable Cast Iron Skillet
- 9. Enameled Cast Iron Skillet Deep Sauté Pan with Lid
- 10. Westinghouse WFL650 Series Seasoned Cast Iron 6.5-Inches Skillet
- Cast iron skillet Buying Guide, Clean and caring instructions
- Cast Iron skillet cleaning and care
1. Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet (10-Inch) w/ Handle Cover By Cuisinel
If you were looking for a multi-purpose skillet that can be used on your gas, induction cooktop and even can be used on a barbeque, then this amazingly designed cast iron skillet By Cuisinel will be a perfect buy for you. It has a diameter of 10-inches that makes it a perfect for cooking for 2-3 people at once. Also, it comes with a grippy handle that can be removed as per the need.
- No need of season it for the first cooking, you can directly use it by taking out of the box
- The smooth finish makes it easier to get heated evenly
- This Iron skillet is built to last for years. You can easily rely on it to be used for years even after regular cooking and washing.
2. Lodge 10.25 Inch Cast Iron Skillet
For those who are looking to buy a beautiful and usable iron skillet for their home, Lodge 10.25 Inch Cast Iron Skillet will be a great purchase. Apart from being carefully crafted, the skillet also has some really useful tweaks like a portion from where you can pour the cooked food item to your plate or serving bowl. Handles on both the sides for better handling and many more.
- Ready to use out of the box
- Helper handle is extremely useful to hold the skillet and sauté the food
- Brilliant buy for those who are looking for a healthier way to cook food
3. Utopia Kitchen Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet with Silicone Hot Handle Holder
This Pre-seasoned cast iron skillet from Utopia Kitchen is a great buy for the buyers with a large family. The diameter of 12.5 inches makes it large enough to cook a good amount of food at once. Additionally, the skillet has some really useful design implements that make it a great choice for the health enthusiasts who want to stay away from the utensils with a harmful non-stick coating on them. This product comes as pre-seasoned so you can use it directly by removing it from the delivery package.
- Silicone support handle makes it easier to use
- The flat bottom makes the heat spread evenly which helps to cook food more reliably and make cooking a lot easier.
- Healthier option to cook food than on the traditional non-stick pans.
4. Large Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet by Victoria
Seasoned with the flaxseed oil, this brilliant cast iron skillet is a perfect kitchen utensil for those buyers who are willing to buy a reliable and durable iron skillet for their home. You can also find a user guide to know about proper cooking and cleaning instructions for the product. In all, this is a near perfect cast iron skillet that you can buy for your home.
- Extremely easy to clean
- Available in different sizes. You can now choose a suitable size according to your family.
- Pour sprouts make it easy to transfer cooked food from the skillet.
5. Calphalon Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Cookware, Skillet, 12-inch
Covered under Calphalon’s full lifetime warranty, this cast iron skillet is a perfect product for the buyers who are looking to buy a durable product that needs less maintenance and has a tough build. Additionally, the small pour sprouts enhance the usability of the product, and the perfectly designed handle is just in place to make the handing better while cooking.
- Lifetime warranty ensures that the item is durable enough to be used for years.
- Just use hot water and a stiff brush to make the skillet perfectly clean. No need to use any soap water or expensive cleaner.
- You can use it almost anywhere, on a gas cooktop, oven, induction, and also on the direct fire while camping.
6. Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet 12.5 Inch by Fresh Australian Kitchen
If you are willing to use a pro-level cast iron skillet in your kitchen that not only is durable enough to be used for years, but also is easy to use, then you should not look further than the Fresh Australian Kitchen’s Pre-seasoned cast iron skillet. The diameter of 12.5 inches and perfectly designed pour sprout and support handle make it a perfect choice for homes where it is going to be used in a regular basis. You can also use this skillet as a baking dish that doubles its usability and you won’t regret buying this product.
- Perfect finish that will last for years
- Perfect for home usage
- Easy to clean, Absolutely no maintenance
7. KINDEN Lightweight Cast Iron Skillet
Frankly speaking, the cast iron skillets are on a heavier side when compared to the normal stainless steel skillets.In case you are looking for a lightweight, easy to handle cast iron skillet for your home that can easily be handled by your kids too, then the product you should look for is the KINDEN Lightweight Cast Iron Skillet.Apart from being extremely lightweight, this cast iron skillet has all the other good things about the other products in the list.
- Extremely lightweight and easy to use
- Stainless steel handle to provide it a better balance and handling
- Non-stick coating for a better cooking experience
8. T-fal E83407 Pre-Seasoned Nonstick Durable Cast Iron Skillet
This is another brilliant pre-seasoned cast iron skillet for your home if you are looking forward to buy something healthier than the traditional non-stick pans. The extra-long handle of this skillet makes it flip the food easily and provides a better control over the cooking process. The skillet is free from harmful chemicals like Cadmium and PFOA. So,now you can completely rely on the quality of the food being cooked.
- Pour Sprout for better usability
- The larger handle provides it great balance and helps the user avoid the heat while making the food
- Can be used in ovens
- Easy to clean
9. Enameled Cast Iron Skillet Deep Sauté Pan with Lid
The weakest point of the cast iron skillets is they look awfully dull. Although they are good for our health, but you can’t literally use them for serving. By keeping this point in mind the Bruntmor have designed a more beautiful version of the traditional cast iron skillets and provided them the much-needed boost that the users were long waiting for.
- Can be used in the ovenupto 500 degrees
- Easy to use
- Doubles up as a serve ware
- Looks beautiful and cooks evenly
10. Westinghouse WFL650 Series Seasoned Cast Iron 6.5-Inches Skillet
This is a great skillet for those who usually live alone or are in the family of two. Additionally, this can be also a great skillet for preparing the breakfast in small quantity. Although the skillet is smaller than most of the products in the list, you can not question about the quality and durability of the product. Prepared for heavy usage, this cast iron skillet can be a perfect product for the students.
- Durable finish
- Excellent balance
- Fast and even cooking
- Easy to clean
- Absolutely no maintenance
So, these were the ten best-cast iron skillets you can buy today. Apart from being fairly durable, these cast iron skillets are a far better way to cook food and serves you as utensils that can be used in several ways without worrying about the potential damage to the finish of the product.
Cast iron skillet Buying Guide, Clean and caring instructions
If you are a person who adopts the stir-frying technique to cook vegetables or a fan of Chinese preparations, a Cast iron skillet would serve the purpose excellently. It is because the skillet is a pan that has the sides flaring outward at an angle which helps in the stir frying process at high flame because of the sloping sides of the skillet allows you to toss and saute the food without spilling.
Buy pre-seasoned skillets – The cast iron skillet is in no way a 100% non-stick cookware. But, it gets close to it with use. The advantage of buying a pre-seasoned skillet is that you do not have to take the trouble of seasoning it and can use it directly. But, till, it has to be rinsed, dried and oiled a few times before you put it to use. Another option is to go in for Vintage skillets or high-end crafted pieces which would be easy to use.
Explore options – When you are about to buy a cast iron skillet, you must remember that it is meant for a lifetime and is an item that is good enough to be passed on as heirloom as well. therefore explore various options of skillets including the cooking surface or circumference, the length of the handle, the slanting angle etc. to see which is comfortable for you to handle.
Consider the condition of the skillet before you buy – If you intend to buy an old piece or vintage skillet, the best thing to buy is the ABC (Already Been Cleaned) skillet. You can find such pieces online at websites like eBay, Etsy etc. but, if you are inspired by the stories of those who bought the pieces from the garage sale and restored it to a usable condition, it is indeed important to estimate whether the skillet is restorable or not before you buy it.
Buy the right size – Size is very crucial in choosing the cast iron skillet because when you choose a skillet of 12-inches, you actually do not get a cooking surface of 12 inches. Why? It is because of the slanting edges of the skillet leave you with an effective cooking surface of just 10 inches.
Weight – The weight of the skillet is a true indicator of the quality of the skillet. The heavier the skillet is, the better is the quality of the skillet.
Handle – When you buy a skillet, it means that you are going to use it for tossing and sauteing the vegetables. For this you would be using the handles often, when you buy a skillet, it is better to buy one piece cast iron skillet rather than one in which the handle has been added or screwed in. this is because, these handles might be the weak points that would prevent you from handing the skillets as heirlooms to your children and grandchildren.
Cast Iron skillet cleaning and care
Caring for your cast iron skillet is quite simple and you can keep it clean, seasoned and rust free by following the simple steps. The good thing about the cast iron skillet is that if you do by some a chance take off the seasoning by scrubbing or rubbing there is no reason to worry at all for you can re-season it.
The materials needed for cleaning
The materials needed for cleaning include
- Sponge/ stiff brush
- Cloth or paper towels –dry
- Vegetable oil/shortening
- Kosher salt (optional)
- Clean the skillet immediately, every time you use it. do it while the skillet is still hot or warm. Soaking or leaving the pan in the sink for a long time is the reason for it to rust.
- Do not use soap water or steel wool as it would strip the pan off its seasoning.
- If there are some stuck-on bits of food, scrub it with a paste of Kosher salt and water. Then wipe it with a paper towel. The stubborn food residue would have been loosened by boiling water in the pan.
- Towel dry or dry it on the stove at a low flame.
- Apply a light coat of oil or melted shortening on the inside and outside of the skillet and buff it to remove excess oil.
- Store in a dry place.
The one thing you ought to remember is to avoid using sharp metal scrubs to clean the skillet, because it would leave scratches and remove the seasoning, making it difficult to be used for cooking.
If you are looking for a reliable option to your non-stick skillet that not only looks good but also is a healthier option to cook food, then you should look no further than the cast iron skillets. Although preparing food on a cast iron is relatively slower than a non-stick pan, but, as the cast iron utensils don’t leave toxins to the food being prepared, and are better to cook the food evenly, you can completely rely on these utensils.
The products mentioned above have a great build-quality and those buyers who are willing to buy a good product for their home can easily go with any of them by just considered their budget and design preferences. So, choose one and buy the product right through before the stocks end.