Dutch Ovens are necessary to have product in anyone’s kitchen. I have been using one for the past 20 years. It has served me well all these years with the maximum efficiency.
To be frank, I have used more than 5 different Dutch ovens in this 20-years and these Dutch ovens came from different brands.
A Dutch oven has several advantages
- Dutch ovens are oven safe
- A Dutch oven has many health benefits
- A Dutch oven is easy to clean
- Most of the Dutch ovens come with pre seasoning that could last for a very long time
- A Dutch oven does not age that fast, it could be used for years to cook good food
- Once you find the seasoning waver off, the user could consider seasoning the product again with ease.
However, with the advantages being told, it is not that easy to purchase a Dutch oven as it comes from different brands and with different designs. Yes, there are a few factors that you should consider while purchasing a Dutch oven. You should be careful to check the product specification and see if the product comes from a reputed brand, if the product is made of durable material, if the product has handles, and if the product comes with a lifetime warranty. Considering these factors, here is the list of 10 best Dutch ovens on the market today.
Table of Contents
- Best Dutch Oven Reviews For 2019
- 1. Lodge 7 Quart Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Dutch Oven
- 2. Lodge L8DOL3 Cast Iron Dutch Oven with Dual Handles
- 3. Lodge L8DD3 Cast Iron Double Dutch Oven
- 4. Cuisinart 445-22 Contour Stainless 5-Quart Dutch Oven with Glass
- 5. Calphalon Classic Nonstick Dutch Oven with Cover
- 6. Lodge L10DCO3 Cast Iron Deep Camp Dutch Oven
- 7. Calphalon Tri-Ply Stainless Steel Cookware
- 8. Cuisinart FCT3545-24 French Classic Tri-Ply Stainless
- 9. Bruntmor, Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven Casserole
- 10. Le Creuset Signature Enameled Cast-Iron
- Dutch oven Buying Guide, Clean & Caring Instructions
- Clean and Caring
Best Dutch Oven Reviews For 2019
1. Lodge 7 Quart Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Dutch Oven
Lodge, as you know, is one of the top and best manufacturer and marketer of top quality Dutch ovens available on the market today. This product comes from the same brand and is one of the best selling Dutch ovens.
- This Dutch oven comes with a total capacity of 7-quart
- The Manufacturer has pre-seasoned this Dutch oven in such a way that the more you use this product, the more seasoning you will get
- The whole product is made in The United States of America
- One of the notable things about this Dutch oven is that it comes with a high quality seasoned iron lid
- Another important feature of this Dutch oven is that it comes with two handles on two opposite sides that allows the user to carry the oven with ease
- The manufacturer has also incorporated loop handles on the lid to remove the lid with ease
2. Lodge L8DOL3 Cast Iron Dutch Oven with Dual Handles
Yet another Dutch oven from the same brand Lodge. The brand and manufacturer has a 125-years experience in manufacturing Dutch ovens and within this period has gained a reputation for their up hand skill in manufacturing top quality Dutch ovens
- This product comes with a total capacity of 5-quart
- The total dimension of the Dutch oven is 12.5×10.48×6-Inches
- The product has a self basting domed lid that could preserve moisture and the lid also comes incorporated with high quality loop lid that enables the user to remove the lid with ease when required
- The whole Dutch oven is pre seasoned with vegetable oil and the whole product is ready for immediate use
- This Dutch oven is best recommended for slow cooking and is designed especially for this purpose
3. Lodge L8DD3 Cast Iron Double Dutch Oven
Yet another Lodge Dutch oven with almost same features and specifications as that of the above listed Dutch ovens. This product has a few differences from the above listed products
- Unlike the above listed product, this Dutch oven comes with a lid that has two handles on the opposite side rather than a loop handle on the top
- The total capacity of this Dutch oven is 5-quart
- This Dutch oven comes pre seasoned with vegetable oils and the product is designed in such a way that the pre seasoning does not vanish soon
- The product as mention above comes with a deep dome that has a depth of 1.5-inches, which, in turn, could allow the user to use the lid as skillets
- The manufacturer claims that this product is oven safe
- The total dimension of this product is 10.25x13x5.5-Inches
4. Cuisinart 445-22 Contour Stainless 5-Quart Dutch Oven with Glass
You could have already been familiar with the name Cuisinart as it is one of the top brands that manufacture and markets top quality cookwares and bakewares. This Dutch oven from Cuisinart is not any different.
- This Dutch oven comes with a transparent glass lid that enables the user to keep track of the cooking progress
- The product is oven, broller, and freezer safe
- One of the notable things about this Dutch oven is that the tempered glass lids that come with this product come with stainless steel rims that could seal the moisture and flavor for efficient cooking
- The whole product is made of stainless steel and is designed to distribute heat evenly all over its surface
- The whole base of this Dutch oven is chemical free and the manufacturer has incorporated comfortable handles in this Dutch oven
5. Calphalon Classic Nonstick Dutch Oven with Cover
Yet another top brand that manufactures and market top quality Dutch ovens today. This Dutch oven from the brand Calphalon is one of the best selling Dutch ovens available on the market today
- One of the most attractive and notable features of this Dutch oven is that it comes with a dual layer non stick coating for easy release of the food
- The non stick coating on this product makes cleaning easy and quick
- Another notable thing about this product is that it comes with transparent lids that have top quality loop handles on the top that could enable the user remove the lid when hot
- The product also comes with measuring marks and pour spouts
- This product is designed to withstand a heat up to 450 Fahrenheit
- The whole product is made of hard anodized aluminum
6. Lodge L10DCO3 Cast Iron Deep Camp Dutch Oven
Yet another product from Lodge that comes in good quality and top features. This product is one of best selling Dutch ovens available on this market
- This Dutch oven comes with a total capacity of 8-quart
- The product comes with an excellent design that allows excellent cooking of food
- One of the notable things of the Dutch oven is that it comes with 3 legs that enables the user to cook anything with coal or wood
- The whole product is pre seasoned and the seasoning does not vanish easily
- The seasoning is done with vegetable oil and the manufacture guarantees the product to be chemical free
- This Dutch oven is made in The United States of America
- Another notable thing about this Dutch oven is that it comes with heavy gauge wire bale that enables the user to hang the Dutch oven with ease
7. Calphalon Tri-Ply Stainless Steel Cookware
Yet another product from the brand Calphalon comes with several attractive features as mentioned below.
- This product comes with aluminum placed between the 2 stainless steel layers that enhanced the heating efficiency
- The stainless steel used to manufacture this product comes completely non-porous that makes the product absolutely safe for use
- One of the notable things about this product is that it comes with high quality tempered glass lid that comes incorporated with loop handles
- The whole product comes with a brushed stainless steel exterior that does not fade or look annoying
- The manufacturer has incorporated high quality brushed stainless steel handles in this product for using it with ease
- This Dutch oven is dishwasher safe and comes with a lifetime warranty
8. Cuisinart FCT3545-24 French Classic Tri-Ply Stainless
Yet another product from the top manufacturer and marketer of Dutch ovens on the market right now. This product comes with attractive features that could stand to no other products
- This product comes with a total capacity of 4.5-quart
- The entire product is made of tri ply stainless steel
- One of the notable things about this product is that it comes with a insulated handles that could allow the user to use the product with ease
- This product is dishwasher safe and it could be cleaned with ease
- The manufacturer offers a lifetime warranty on this product
9. Bruntmor, Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven Casserole
This product is one of the most unique products you would see in this list. This product comes from the Bruntmor and is one of the only Dutch oven that is enamel coated
- This product comes with enameled cast iron coating that makes it more efficient and at the same time more attractive
- One of the notable things about this product is that it is free from PFOA and PTFE
- The self basting condensation ridges incorporated into the lid that comes with this product helps the product cook food efficiently
- The product comes with an excellent red color exterior that could satisfy any users need
10. Le Creuset Signature Enameled Cast-Iron
Le Creuset is one of the top manufacturer and marketer of cookwares and bakewares that comes with excellent features that could satisfy any kitchen setting
- One of the notable things about this product is that it comes with 45% more large handles
- The whole product is enameled coated that enhances the efficiency of the product and also give better color
- The product is designed to withstand a heat up to 500 degree Fahrenheit
- This product is dishwasher safe and oven safe, the manufacturer guarantees that the enamel does not crack or chip off with ease
Dutch oven Buying Guide, Clean & Caring Instructions
Dutch ovens are thick walled pots which are suitable for cooking on open fires in camps besides barbequing, stewing and braising.If you are looking to purchase a dutch oven, you should consider the following factors to pick the best one according to your needs.
Material of the dutch oven
The best material for a dutch oven for home use is cast iron. Cast iron iron preserves heat very well and evenly distributes the heat energy. Thus, cast iron dutch ovens are ideal for stewing and braising. Both plain and enameled cast iron dutch ovens are available in the market. Plain cast iron dutch oven needs to be seasoned before it can be used to cook acidic things such as tomatoes, vinegar, etc. This is because plain cast iron reacts with acidic ingredients. Plain cast iron dutch ovens are heavy and last for a lifetime. On the other hand, enameled cast iron dutch ovens can be used even with acidic ingredients without the need for seasoning. They are also very heavy. However, enameled cast iron dutch ovens are expensive. The enamel can also crack.
If the dutch oven is to be primarily used for campfires, then aluminum is the preferred material. Aluminum dutch ovens have two layers of anodised aluminum because aluminum is thinner than cast iron. Anodised aluminum layers enhance the durability of the dutch oven. One disadvantage of aluminum dutch oven is that it develops hot and cold spots during slow cooking because aluminum heats up very quickly.
SIze of the dutch oven
The perfect size of a dutch oven for a family is 5 quarts. This is the standard size for families. Dutch ovens of 7 quarts and even 1 quart are available in the market. Large sized dutch ovens of 8-12 quarts are designed to cook for a large number of people. They are also much more expensive. You need to choose a dutch oven in accordance with the amount of food you need to cook.
Lid of the dutch oven
The lid of a dutch oven is tight-fitting and completely seals the oven. Tight-fitting lid prevents moisture and heat from escaping into the air. You need to make sure that the lid of the dutch oven you intend to buy perfectly covers the oven without leaving gaps. Dutch oven models with lids made of tempered glass are suitable because they allow you to see the interior of the pot without the need to lift the lid. The lid must have a handle or a heat-resistant knob.
The modern dutch ovens also come with special lids. For example, many dutch ovens for outdoor use have flanged lids. Flanged lids have a deep surface which can be used to place coals for roasting. Another example is lid ridge found in many models of indoor dutch ovens. Lid ridge is a groove around the lid which sends back the vapours back into the food to increase moisture.
Handle of the dutch oven
The handle should be heat resistant so that you can easily transfer the dutch oven from stovetop to oven or from campfire to other place. Dutch ovens are available with both rigid and erect handles as well as handles with 45 degree movement. Erect and rigid handle is a better option because it provides a good grip.
Clean and Caring
Detergent should not be used to clean dutch ovens because detergent has a harmful effect on the oil used in making the Dutch Oven. The various cleaning tips are as follows.
Soak the dutch oven in hot water for 2 hours and then wipe it with a mixture of one part vinegar and four parts water. Do not use metal scrub.
To clean the outside portion of the dutch oven, you can make a paste of baking soda and water and use the paste to scrub the outside with a Scotch-brite pad.
Wipe the dutch oven with a paper towel or kitchen towel after cleaning to avoid rusting.
All the products listed above come from the top brand and were selected based on the customer reviews across different e-commerce platforms and based on our study on each products. Purchase any one of the product and enjoy the benefits of using a Dutch oven.