Pizza stone is simply a cooking surface for baking purposes. It can be made of stone, clay, ceramic, cast iron, cordierite, or steel. It can bake food safely without burns due to its build material. These stones are built to mimic the baking quality of masonry oven. Unlike metallic bakeware, pizza stones are built to manage extreme heats and they can still cook well. These stones are used also in hotels or restaurants to make delightful pizzas for buyers. They can also be used to produce healthier and crispier crusts in home ovens and prepare healthy pizzas faster.
The structure of the stone is the main reason behind it. The stone absorbs moisture from the dough and make it really tasty, crunchy crust. You can produce evenly baked pizza without burns on these stones. In addition, these stones are very easy to maintain and use.
You can choose the right pizza stone as per your needs. First off, it is important to measure oven and choose the stone accordingly. You also need to consider the purpose. If you just want to bake pizza, you can go with round stone. If you want to bake pastries or bread, you can go with rectangular stone.
If you are looking for the best rated pizza stone for your kitchen, you are at the right place. We have handpicked some of the most popular and attractive options for you. We have compared and tested these pizza stones before adding to the list.
Best Buy Pizza Stone Reviews 2019
1. Heritage 15” Black Ceramic Pizza Stone for Oven, BBQ and Grill
The best pizza stone for oven & grill – This ceramic pizza stone from Heritage is definitely your best alley in the kitchen. Surprise your children and family in the next event or dinner by baking restaurant-worthy pizza at your home. The best part is that this pizza stone comes with free pizza cutter so you won’t have to buy one. This non-stain baking stone is perfect for your oven, BBQ and grill. In addition, this pizza stone is completely food safe. There is no cadmium or lead used on the surface.
- Preheats around 2 times faster than other stones
- Will not burn crust or stain from grease
- Doesn’t smoke and keeps pizza tasting fresh and smelling nice
- #1 Reviewed and most loved baking stone on Amazon
- It won’t crack in the oven and will last lifetime
2. Old Stone Oven Rectangular Pizza Stone
Make your movie night, game night or just any night useful with your favorite pizza and red wine that can fit any occasion. Whether you are rolling in your own pizza dough or throwing frozen pizza in the oven or grill, you will definitely love this rectangular pizza stone from Old Stone for the crust you love. It heats evenly and quickly with its cordierite clay so you can get the golden brown crust on every bite. Warm of bake bread, pastries or even cook vegetables on this stone.
- Easier to pick up pizza due to raised edges on the bottom
- Also used for baking pastries, bread and vegetables
- Made of cordierite material for even and rapid heating and longer lifespan
- Well designed Heat Core to avoid soggy centers
3. CastElegance Pizza Stone for Crispy and Crust Pizza
CastElegance Pizza Stone is engineered to last and produce the best crust and crispy pizza at home. It is made of Thermarite, a well-formulated and high density cordierite stone which is heated well to around 2000F for superior durability, strength and thermal shock resistance. The pizza stone is highly absorbent and unique which absorbs and extracts moisture off the moist dough to form the best crispy crusts. It has superior heat transfer and retention to provide even heat transmitted into the food for good crusts.
- Made of Thermarite to vaporize all organic waste and resist smell
- Shields pizza from intense heat on grills and ovens
- Packaged to come in one piece without micro fractures
- US FDA approved
4. Love This Kitchen 16” Round Bread and Pizza Stone
The Ultimate 16” Round Pizza and Bread stone from Love this Kitchen is just what you want. It is the best choice to make pizza both on the grill and in the oven. It has been tested on various professional and commercial BBQ grills, gas or charcoal at high heat. It is made of porous ceramic designed to absorb moisture from the dough to make crispier crust. It is made of US FDA approved Therma Shock Cordierite to withstand around 1500 degrees for easy cooking and stone won’t break because of thermal shock.
- Perfect for BBQ, oven, and grill
- Durable and safe, thermal shock resistant
- Made of FDA approved Cordierite stone
5. Unicook Heavy Duty Ceramic Pizza Grilling Stone
Gather your family and friends and treat them with delicious crust and crispy pizza made on Unicook Heavy Duty Ceramic Pizza Grilling stone, Pizza Pan, and Baking stone. It is ideal for BBQ, Oven and Grill. Cook healthy and delicious pizzas like a chef and surprise your friends and family. Use Unicook Pizza stone in home oven and outdoor grill. This stone is easy and convenient to cook frozen and homemade pizza. It can be used to make cookies, breads, and biscuits along with pizza.
- Made of LFGB and FDA approve Cordierite stone which is heat safe around 1450F and smell proof
- Excellent thermal shock resistance
- Good for frozen or fresh pizza in the oven or grill. Also ideal for baking bread, pizza and cookies.
6. Cuisinart CPS-445 Pizza Grilling Set
This ceramic pizza stone from Cuisinart bakes tastier, delicious and crisper crust. It is heat resistant around 800 degrees and it provides even heat distribution without hot spots and it mimics the traditional brick pizza oven. Along with pizza, you can also bake toasts, warm bagels, waffles, and tortillas.
It comes with a long pizza peel made of aluminum with smooth finish to resist sticking. Slide the peel under the pizza assembled, place it over the hot stone in the oven, and remove peel when the pizza bakes. Slide and peel under the crust and move pizza from oven to the cutting area.
- Comes with pizza cutter and folding pizza peel
- Cut and serve your delicacies quickly
- Make perfect cuts with cutting peel
7. Wilton Perfect Results 15” Ceramic Pizza and Baking Stone
If most of your day involves cooking and baking, you should have a bakeware that can hold up with you. The Perfect Results ceramic baking and pizza stone from Wilton is best for daily use. It is made of cold-rolled, heavy duty steel. This oversized pan is made of strong non-stick coating so it can easily get in and out of the oven. You can choose from loaf, muffin, cake or pizza pans, mega-sized pans or cookie sheets for baking more items. The pan is dishwasher safe as well.
- Oversized handles to provide better grip
- Non-stick surface
- Dishwasher safe
8. GOVOG BBQ, Baking and Pizza Stone for Oven with Cutter Handle Set
Surprise your kids, family, colleague and friends by making pizza at home with GOVOC BBQ, Pizza and Baking stone for oven. It is made of cordierite material for delightful and crispy crust pizza. It comes with cutter handle set for fine and perfect cuts.
- Round pizza stone with rack and cutter
- Suitable for indoor and outdoor BBQ and most types of grills
- Cordierite baking stone for even heat distribution
9. ROCKSHEAT 14.2″x 0.6″ Round Cordierite Pizza Stone
Bake Pizzeria-style pizzas anytime at home with ROCKSHEAT Round Cordierite Pizza stone which simulates cooking standard of professional brick ovens. It provides even heat distribution for best cooking results. It delivers crispy and browned crust you love and get the best commercial brick oven results.
Make fresh pizza, for birthday, kids or other events at home and upgrade your kitchen and turn it into a typical pizzeria with ROCKSHEAT Pizza stone. It can resist extremely high heat up to 1400F with strong thermal stability.
- Extremely high temperature resistant up to 1400F
- Made of food grade cordierite burned in a kiln in around 2200F temperature
- Durable and long lasting
- Can be used in oven or most types of grills
10. Culinary Expertise Cordierite Pizza Stone Set
Many pizza stones shatter in extreme temperatures. But this cordierite pizza stone from Culinary Expertise has innovative thermal design which is best suited on your grill and other cooking options with open flame to deliver flame-cooked and authentic flavor in your pizza.
- Thermal shock resistant
- Withstands up to 1500F
- All materials are approved by FDA, LFGB, RoHS, and EC
How To Choose The Right Pizza Stone
Getting a pizza stone is very important as it decides the characteristics of the pizza crust. Do you prefer having a pizza without actually destroying the flavor? Then, you should be careful while selecting the pizza stone as each of pizza stone delivers different characteristics to pizza. Here is a buying guide that could help you get the best pizza stone from the market today.
a) Type of pizza stone
A pizza stone could come made any one of the following materials and each material has its own pros and cons
- Cast iron – Cast iron is one of the most commonly used pizza stone type as cast iron pizza stones offers maximum flexibility. On the other hand, yet another reason is that cast iron pizza stones have low melting point making it compatible for high temperature. One of the disadvantages of cast iron pizza stone is that once the cooking is completed, it will take a long time for the stone to cool down.
- Ceramic – Ceramic pizza stone is best recommended if you need a pizza that does not have a thin crust. A ceramic pizza stone heats quickly and could be cleaned easily. On the other hand, most of the experts recommend a ceramic pizza stone over other pizza stones, as they are easy to use. Yet one of the greatest disadvantages of ceramic pizza stone is that if it falls down, it could break.
- Steel – Steel pizza stone is the latest type of pizza stone available on the market today. Compared to other types of pizza stones, a steel pizza stone is the most efficient as they are very efficient heat conductors. A steel pizza stone is durable than a ceramic or cast iron pizza stone, however, a steel pizza stone is a bit expensive than ceramic and cast iron pizza stones.
- Clay – A clay pizza stone is the best and the oldest of the pizza stone types available these days. Most of the experts consider using clay pizza stones as they play an important role in delivering a pizza that has enhanced flavor and special characteristics that no other pizza stone could ever offer.
b) Size and weight of the stone
The size of the pizza stone could vary, it is totally up to the user’s preference on which size to purchase. If you prefer cooking small pizzas then a small pizza stone is appropriate likewise medium and large sized. However, we do recommend that you consider purchasing medium size pizza or large size instead of small, as it could prove useful at times. Now, when it comes to the weight of a pizza stone, the weight actually depends on the type of pizza stone.
- Steel pizza stone – 15 pounds minimum
- Stone made pizza stone – approximately 10 pounds
- Ceramic pizza stone – 5-7 pounds
- Cast iron pizza stone – 7-10 pounds
Based on the info mentioned above, you can choose an appropriate pizza stone.
c) Overall shape of the stone
A pizza stone could come in different shapes,
The shape of the pizza stone that you choose to purchase is more of a personal choice and the taste and flavor of the pizza have nothing to do with the shape of the stone. However, traditionally most people do love round pizzas and hence consider purchasing round shape pizza stone.
Pizza Stone Cleaning & Caring Instructions
There is one thing that you should always be careful about, let the pizza stone be made of any material. You should be careful enough to clean it only after it cools down. Cleaning the pizza stone while hot could ruin the stone. Here are the some best way to clean a pizza stone:
Step 1: Allow the pizza stone to cool
Step 2: With your hands or with a small blade remove the food deosits sticking on the surface of the stone. You can also use metal spatula for removing the surface particles.
Step 3: Prepare a mixture of baking soda and water (paste) and then apply the paste on the stone. Soap should never be used to clean pizza stone. This is because pizza stones are porous and tend to absorb soap.
Step 4: Scrub the stone surface with a brush and then wipe clean the stone with a dry cloth. Do not use too much water to wet the surface of the pizza stone. Submerging the stone in water is also prohibited.
Step 5: Now, with a wet cloth wipe clean the stone and allow it to dry. Airs dry the stone after cleaning. You should never bake it in an oven to dry because such a course of action will cause the stone to crack.
If the cheese or pizza residue clings stubbornly to the surface of the pizza stone, keep the stone in the oven and turn it to a high temperature. High temperature burns the residue which can then be removed easily by a brush.
Pizza stones tend to have stains and marks which cannot be cleaned. Thus, stains and marks are considered normal and are taken as an indication that the stone has been put to good use.
PS: Never use the stone while it’s wet. Always see to the fact that pizza stone is dry before using it.
Who doesn’t like a delicious pizza, consider the factors mentioned above and get yourselves the best pizza stone.
How to Use a Pizza Stone Properly
The correct ways to make pizzas using pizza stone have been mentioned here.
Place the pizza stone in the oven
The pizza stone should always be placed in a cold oven. Putting the pizza stone in a hot oven causes the stone to shatter due to thermal shock. Thus, never commit the mistake of heating the oven before placing the pizza stone in it. Place the pizza stone on the lowest rack of the oven.
Heating the pizza stone
Preheat the oven to 550 degrees Fahrenheit after placing the pizza stone in it. Pizza stones can withstand very high temperatures but more than 500 degrees F temperature is an ideal oven temperature for pizza stones. The oven must be preheated for at least an hour.
Use pizza peel
Pizza peel is a wooden paddle which is used to transfer the uncooked pizza dough to the pizza stone. Both long handled and short handled wooden pizza peels are available in the market. First you need to scatter cornmeal or rice flour on the pizza peel. Cornmeal and rice flour prevents the pizza dough from sticking on to the surface of the pizza peel. Thereafter, you need to place the dough on the pizza peel and add toppings. Finally, you need to carefully slide the dough from the peel to the pizza stone placed in the oven.
Baking the pizza
Baking time for pizza placed on a pizza stone is lesser as compared to pan pizza. The whole process takes a few minutes. Large sized pizzas take about 8-10 minutes to bake on pizza stones.
Removing the pizza from pizza stone
After the pizza has baked completely, use a metal spatula to slide it from the stone to a pizza peel or a pan.
The pizza stone should be left to cool in the oven after turning off the oven.
Pizza stones mostly are either circular or rectangular. It is up to your needs as circular stones are easy to rotate in oven. On the flip side, rectangular stones are used in most ovens and grills. Consider your convenience, needs and oven design before picking the pizza stone.
We hope you have enjoyed our pizza stone reviews and you can make your own choice by checking out the above pizza stones and make your delicious restaurant-worthy pizza at home.
Table of Contents
- Best Buy Pizza Stone Reviews 2019
- 1. Heritage 15” Black Ceramic Pizza Stone for Oven, BBQ and Grill
- 2. Old Stone Oven Rectangular Pizza Stone
- 3. CastElegance Pizza Stone for Crispy and Crust Pizza
- 4. Love This Kitchen 16” Round Bread and Pizza Stone
- 5. Unicook Heavy Duty Ceramic Pizza Grilling Stone
- 6. Cuisinart CPS-445 Pizza Grilling Set
- 7. Wilton Perfect Results 15” Ceramic Pizza and Baking Stone
- 8. GOVOG BBQ, Baking and Pizza Stone for Oven with Cutter Handle Set
- 9. ROCKSHEAT 14.2″x 0.6″ Round Cordierite Pizza Stone
- 10. Culinary Expertise Cordierite Pizza Stone Set
- How To Choose The Right Pizza Stone
- Pizza Stone Cleaning & Caring Instructions
- How to Use a Pizza Stone Properly