Cooking can be amazing and fun when you have the best kitchen tools. A lot of people spend time in preparing food in their kitchen. Instagram might be responsible for it but it is true that people have become more health conscious which means cooking at home and having less processed foods. So, people invest more on right tools like knives and appliances.
Chef knife is the most important tool that you shouldn’t miss for your kitchen. This universal knife can be used in around 90% of the cases. These knives can also perform some difficult jobs like deboning a piece of meat which need special types of knives. It is a myth that good knife costs hundreds of dollars and the most expensive ones are superior. Well, the differences are barely seen.
A good knife remains sharp as long as it is sharpened after and before use. Even the most premium knives need proper sharpening.
For a knife, the most important thing is that it should have good handle and it needs not to be ceramic. With proper maintenance, knife can survive for several years of heavy use.
So, here’s the list of best professional chef knives for your kitchen.
Best Chef Knives Reviews 2019
1. Victorinox Fibrox 8” Chef’s Knife
Victorinox Fibrox Chef’s knife is the great all-rounder, ergonomically designed carving knife from the professional range of knives and is loved by both professional chefs and home cooks for its non-slip, comfortable ergonomic grip and its balance and optimal weight delivered by its extra large blade. It has razor-sharp edge which rarely needs sharpening. It promises both efficiency and ease when slicing grilled and cooked meat or larger food items.
- Great to carve all types of meat
- Swiss carving knife with straight edges
- Ergonomic, non-slip handle and extra-wide, ultra-sharp blade
2. Mercer Culinary Millennia 8” Chef’s Knife
Mercer is a leading brand for producing top quality cutlery items for over 30 years. Millennia is one of the best Japanese chef knives made of stainless steel which resists corrosion, rust and discoloration.
It has razor-sharp edge which smoothly chops and cuts food items. It has got ergonomic Santoprene handles and polypropylene for comfort and durability. It provides slip resistance with textured finger prints. This knife is certified by NSF, the leading provider of safety-based and public health risk management solutions.
- Ergonomic handles
- Made of best quality stainless steel
- Slip resistance textured finger prints
- Easy to maintain razor sharp edges
3. ZELITE INFINITY 8-inch Chef Knife
ZELITE is a family-run brand known for producing uncompromised quality kitchen tools to exceed their customer needs and demands. This Infinity chef’s knife is designed to resist wear and tear over long term. This professional chef knife sets the new benchmarks of quality as it is made of premium imported Japanese steel to ensure long-lasting performance. It has rounded, triple riveted handle which is ergonomic to ensure comfortable and safe grip.
- Razor sharp blades made of premium Japanese stainless steel
- Beautiful rounded, triple riveted handle
- Hand-finished for unrivaled performance with 3-step Honbazuke method to make it unbelievably sharp
4. DALSTRONG Gladiator Series 8” Chef Knife
Made of German High Carbon Steel, DALSTRONG Gladiator Series chef knife is the complete workhorse for a serious chef. From a simple meal in your kitchen to the heat of professional restaurant pantries, DALSTRONG chef’s knife works endlessly with you, compliments your style, and remains brutally sharp and dependable. This merciless gladiator is the perfect staple for home and professional kitchens.
This blade is forged with one-piece imported ThyssenKrupp German steel with precision to ensure super sharp edge and excellent resistance from wear and stain. It is hand sharpened 14 to 16 degrees on each side to ensure ultra-thin dicing and slicing with less maintenance, effort or cleanup needed. It has wide blade for easy knuckle clearance scooping food from cutting board to pan or pot.
The knife features ergonomic, beautiful and imported pakkawood black handle made in Spain and is laminated for great sanitation, strength, and stain/water resistance. It is designed well for great maneuverability and comfort.
- Ultra-sharp, precision forged, single-piece, high carbon, wear resistant ThyssenKrupp German steel
- Tall blade for knuckle clearance to help in chopping and food preparation
- Tapered design for great flexibility and hardness
- Stain resistance with added chromium
5. A. HENCKELS INTERNATIONAL 31161-201 8-inch Classic Chef’s Knife
Cut and slice every food you want with confidence if you have this classic chef’s knife from J.A. Henckels International. It has fine-edge, precise blade honed for prolonged sharpness. Dice apples, chop potatoes, slice salmon and mince shallots smoothly with this kitchen workhorse.
It is made of top-quality German Stainless steel which is durable enough for long-term use. With smooth transition from blade to handle, the fully forged built of this knife provides great balance as its triple riveted handle promotes tireless cutting. Henckels International is a leading brand makes great kitchen tools needed by every home chef.
It is a great quality chef’s knife which is the perfect staple for your kitchen. You can use it for everything, i.e. from prepping steaks for grill to mincing onions finely.
- Fabricated from German stainless steel
- Fully forged built to provide seamless transition and durability from blade to handle
- Traditional, ergonomic triple riveted handle for ultimate comfort and balance
- Satin-finished, professional blade for strong cutting performance
6. Wusthof Classic 8” Kitchen Knife
Wusthof Classic Chef’s Knife is an ultimate workhouse for kitchen. It is a perfect staple for your cutting and chopping needs. It is an all-purpose, indispensable kitchen tool for mincing, chopping, dicing and slicing. It has ideal balance and weight management for heavy use like cutting meats and thicker vegetables.
- Precision-forged from exclusive, single-piece high-carbon stainless steel which resists corrosion and stains
- Precision Edge technology makes this blade 20% sharper with double edge retention
- Full bolster and finger guard for ultimate comfort, safety and control
- Triple riveted handle for great durability and hygienic fit
7. Mac Knife Professional 8-inch Hollow Edge Chef’s Knife
This 8-inch hollow-edge professional chef’s knife from Mac is the perfect companion for your professional or home kitchen. It has fine blade and bolster to slice and cut almost anything eatable that comes your way. It has dimples to cut foods like squash and apples.
- 63” lightweight knife
- 5mm blade with added dimples to glide through sticky food items like apples, potatoes, and summer squash
- Handle made of Pakka wood
- Made in Japan
8. DALSTRONG 8” Phantom Series Chef Knife
Made of Japanese AUS8 Steel, the DALSTRONG 8” Phantom Series chef knife is widely used in professional kitchens. It is well designed to with agile, elegant, and culinary instruments of best performance. The AUS8 steel is engraved beautifully with Dalstrong branding down the spine and Japanese kanji for ‘ghost’ or ‘phantom’. Each blade is sharpened by hand with Honzabuke method to ensure effortless, smooth cuts.
- Precision forged blade with world-class AUS-8 Japanese
- Full tang for superior quality and robustness
- High levels of chromium added to steel
- Tapered blade design for flexibility and durability
- Cleans smoothly for low maintenance
- Serene hand polished satin finish blade refined with fine detailing
9. Imarku Pro Kitchen 8 Inch Chef’s Knife High Carbon Stainless Steel Sharp Gyutou Knives
The 8-inch Imarku Gyutou knife is designed well for professionals including culinary experts, chefs, caterers and any household. It is a complete knife for different tasks like chopping, cutting, slicing and dicing vegetables, fish, fruits, meat and other items. It is also the best choice to remove flesh from bones and smashing/pounding garlic.
The knife is crafted with German engineering and has toughened stainless steel blade measuring 8-inches. It has 2.3mm thick blade which has around 0.6% to 0.75% carbon for great durability and strength.
- Comfortable and well-built
- Durable and strong blades
- Ergonomic and user-friendly handles
10. Homegeek 2-Piece 8-inch Ultra Sharp Chef Knives
This knife set includes 8” Chef Knife and 7” Santoku Knife. The Santoku knife has 15 degrees of knife edge angle which can easily cut any foods and is ultra sharp. Each knife in this set is made of 5Cr15Mov German Stainless steel made of best quality material. It is completely rust resistant and sharp and sturdy.
- Knife has been duly sharpened
- Top-quality German HC stainless steel
- Well-designed bolster to ensure complete safety
- Well-balanced knife for all your kitchen needs
How To Choose The Best Chef Knife
Chef Knife Cleaning & Caring Instructions
A majority of the people think that cleaning a knife is easy. Yes, it is, if you know the right method to do it. Type of cleaning entirely depends on the type of material used to make the knife. Here is how to do it
Let it be whatever material, you should avoid washing the chef’s knife in the dishwasher and avoid storing the knife in a place with high humidity or moisture.
Now, when it comes to cleaning a chef’s knife always be careful enough to point the knife sharp edge away from you while cleaning. You could consider putting the knife on a flat surface in such a way that it does not bend and then scrub the sides using a soft sponge and water. If you find any deposit not coming off the knife, soak the knife in water for 5 minutes and then wipe clean the knife. Remember, not to put the knife in the sink or soaked in water for a long time.
If you are using a wooden handle chef’s knife, the handle would need seasoning to avoid drying up and breaking. Seasoning should be done with mineral oil in such a way that the handles offer stability and not in a way that you won’t be able to hold it.
Finally, Getting the best chef’s knife is not easy, the buying guide above could help you select the best knife and the cleaning and caring guide could help you keep the knife clean and healthy for a long time.
Chef’s Knives vs. Santoku Knives: The Differences
Uses – Both Santoku Knives and Chef’s Knives differ from each other on the basis of their area of operation. Santoku Knives are used for cutting meat, slicing, slicing cheese,dicing fruits, creating finely sliced seafood and vegetables, chopping nuts, and vegetables. They are also useful in mincing herb or meat. Due to their wide blade, Santoku Knives are ideal to scoop food from a cutting board.
Chef’s Knives are best suited for complex and versatile cutting, slicing, disjointing and cutting meat. The tip of the knife is appropriate to separate chicken parts. Chef’s Knife helps in slicing cheese, slicing, chopping, dicing fruits, nuts and vegetables.
Knife length – The length of a Santoku knife is a little shorter as compared to the length of a Chef’s Knife. The actual measurement of a Santoku knife is 8 inches while an average length of Chef’s Knife is around 10 inches. Chef’s Knife comes with a remarkable handle-to-blade design that makes it appropriate for people with small hands.
Edge – Chef knife has got a curved blade that makes it ideal for shaking back and forth to chop vegetables on the cutting board. It has a sharp and long edge that makes it suitable for chopping or slicing of meats or bread, peeling potatoes and separating individual chicken parts. A Chef knife is a versatile design of knife that is ideal for efficiency and speed in a professional level cooking environment.
The edge of a santoku knife is almost fully straight. It does not have a sharp tip. This feature of santoku knife makes it ideal for chopping a small sized bunch of vegetables as well as mincing herbs quickly and easily. This versatile knife serves various different purposes such as cutting boneless meat, vegetables, cheese, fruit, herbs, and other kinds of foods.
Weight – As far as the weight of the knife is considered, the Santoku knife looks a little shorter,lighter and thinner as compared to a chef knife. This implies that people who have smaller hands can comfortably get a firm grip on the handle as compared to the chef knife.
Conclusion – Both the Chef knives and Santoku knives work as a remarkable cutting tool that should be present in your knife drawer. Where the chef’s knife comes handy for jobs that need a longer blade, the Santoku knife allows effortless cutting of foods. They are powerful tools in every chef’s arsenal. When properly cared, both these knives will give you several hours of efficient service.
Now that you have gone through several most popular and best chef knives out there, we hope you have decided which knife you would want to buy.
At least, we hope you have understood what is available and how different roles a chef’s knife can play. We hope this list will help you choose from your own opinions.
Table of Contents
- Best Chef Knives Reviews 2019
- 1. Victorinox Fibrox 8” Chef’s Knife
- 2. Mercer Culinary Millennia 8” Chef’s Knife
- 3. ZELITE INFINITY 8-inch Chef Knife
- 4. DALSTRONG Gladiator Series 8” Chef Knife
- 5. A. HENCKELS INTERNATIONAL 31161-201 8-inch Classic Chef’s Knife
- 6. Wusthof Classic 8” Kitchen Knife
- 7. Mac Knife Professional 8-inch Hollow Edge Chef’s Knife
- 8. DALSTRONG 8” Phantom Series Chef Knife
- 9. Imarku Pro Kitchen 8 Inch Chef’s Knife High Carbon Stainless Steel Sharp Gyutou Knives
- 10. Homegeek 2-Piece 8-inch Ultra Sharp Chef Knives
- How To Choose The Best Chef Knife
- Chef Knife Cleaning & Caring Instructions
- Chef’s Knives vs. Santoku Knives: The Differences