Bread is undoubtedly the best way to satisfy ourselves with making numerous dishes without spending much time in the preparation. However, apart from choosing fresh and perfectly made bread for the breakfast, it is very essential to choose the best knife that can cut the slices as clean as possible. I’ve often made the mistake to cut the bread loaf through any knife that I find at that time, and believe me, the results were always a disaster. Recently I visited my friend’s home for a get-together and saw a perfectly sliced bread on the dinner table. I thought that he would have purchased the sliced bread instead of the loaf, but to my surprise, he said it was a piece of loaf. And yes, the question I immediately fired to him, is HOWW?
He answered that it was a bread knife and the right bread cutting technique is all you need to cut a perfect bread slice. After reaching home, the first thing that I did was to search the internet for the best bread knives that can help me to get the perfect bread slice for my breakfast sandwich. Check my review also on Best Bread Loaf Pans.
Best Buy Bread Knife Reviews 2020
Table of Contents
So, here were the products I found most promising. And I hope they will also be beneficial to you.
1. Mercer Culinary Genesis Forged Bread Knife, 8 Inch
If you are after a bread knife that is singed to rough and hard use, then the Mercer Culinary Genesis Forged Bread Knife is the best you opt for. It is made up of high-quality German cutlery steel that makes it one of the best bread knives available in the market in terms of the strength and precision.
- 8-inch blade size makes it a perfect option to cut any size of loaf.
- High-grade culinary steel makes it indestructible. You can even use to cut it a freshly baked bread loaf.
- The intelligently designed grip makes it easier to cut even the softest bread
- The blade is sharp enough to be used for years without need of sharpening.
2. Victorinox Cutlery 7-Inch Wavy Edge Bread Knife
If you are looking for a bread knife that can help you cut the bread loaf in a jiffy, then you should go for the Victorinox Cutlery 7-Inch Wavy Edge Bread Knife. Unlike the most famous bread knives, the Victorinox Cutlery 7-Inch Wavy Edge Bread Knife has the wavey edges that make it easier to glide over the bread loaf.
- Available in different sizes. So you can choose any of them according to your family size and needs.
- Wavey cutting edges provide it a better control while cutting the bread loaf.
- It has patented Fibrox, which not only helps you to hold it better but also improves your cutting motion while getting through the loaf.
- Easy to hold handles to make handling easy and efficient.
3. Zelite Infinity Bread Knife Extra Length
For those buyers who are looking forward to buy a great looking knife that doesn’t compromise with the quality and cutting precision, the Zelite Infinity Bread Knife Extra Length is a brilliant choice. Apart from having a sharp blade the overall looks of the knife make it so special that you would certainly want it to buy for your home.
- Made up of high-quality Thyssen Krupp High Carbon Stainless Steel.
- Unique anti-rust and anti-stain coating make the knife look like new for years.
- Easy to sharpen
- The unique design of the handle makes it a great kitchen tool to have at home.
4. ZELITEINFINITY Bread Knife 8 inch – Alpha-Royal Series
For those buyers who are looking to buy a knife with a comfortable handle, a good cutting angle and a high-quality razor-sharp blade, the ZELITE INFINITY Bread Knife 8 inch – Alpha-Royal Series will be a beautiful choice. Unlike any other bread knives available in the market, the Alpha-Royal Series from ZELITE INFINITY has all the qualities that you can ever ask for in a bread knife.
- Triple-Rivet, Rounded Handle makes the knife extremely comfortable to hold.
- Unique design on the blade makes it look tough and efficient
- Razor sharp blade made with Japanese technology provides the knife a great cutting capability
- Limited lifetime warranty shows how confident the company is about the quality of the knife.
5. Wusthof Classic 10-Inch Bread Knife
If you are not willing to spend too much money on a bread knife, but still want a good performer that can easily cut the loaf for a perfect bread slice, the Wusth of Classic 10-Inch Bread Knife will be a decent buy.
- Although the knife may look fancy and durable as the other knives in the list, but, this knife has the capability to do its job well. The blade is sharp enough to cut through the softest loaf and won’t disappoint you with its performance.
- Despite of the 10-inch size, the knife is extremely easy to handle and use.
- The triple-riveted synthetic handle provides the knife an unmatched balance and cutting capacity.
- The blade is made up of high-strength steel and it will last for years without any maintenance. Just make sure that you keep it clean and safe from the things that can damage the blade or its shine.
6. Equinox Serrated Bread Knife
Personally, I would love to have a bread knife that not only looks good but is also extremely easy to hold. While searching for such device, I ended up to the Equinox Serrated Bread Knife which in no way as fancy or fab looking like the most of the knives in the list, but the things that made me include this in the list is feedback it gives to you when you hold the knife.
- Extremely easy to hold
- Cuts through the loaf smoothly
- 9-inch blade makes it a great knife to be used at home
- The unique design and sharp blade makes it possible to cut through the fruits and veggies
7. DALSTRONG Bread Knife – Shogun Series
DALSTRONG Bread Knife – Shogun Series is another brilliant knife to look at. The knife comes with a cover that has a simple reason of being there which is to protect the blade from wear and tear and to make the user safe from the razor sharp blade of the knife when the knife is not being used.
- Brilliant design
- The amazingly sharp blade that can cut through the veggies, fruits along with the loaf of the bread.
- Extremely easy to hold and move through the bread loaf.
- Money-back guarantee and lifetime warranty can be seen as an assurance to the quality of the product.
8. Mercer Culinary Millennia 10-Inch Wide Bread Knife
For the buyers who are not too keen to buy the high-end extraordinary looking bread knives, and just want to stick to the basic knife that can help them to do the job, the Mercer Culinary Millennia 10-Inch Wide Bread Knife will be the right choice. 10-inch blade makes it a great kitchen aid for the medium family. Believe me,you are not going to buy any other bread knife once you have used it.
- High carbon steel blade makes it as durable as the other products in the list.
- The blade can easily withstand slight bends and scratches without any effect on its efficiency.
- It has a limited lifetime warranty that somehow ensures the quality of craftsmanship of the product.
- Rounded edges make it a safe knife to use at home.
9. KUTLER Professional 14″ Serrated Cake Slicing/Bread Slicer Knife
The buyers who are willing to achieve a pro level precision to cut the bread loaf, the KUTLER Professional 14″ Serrated Cake Slicing/Bread Slicer Knife will be a great choice. The knife may look simple at the first sight, but the precision and the sharpness of the blade is simply unmatched.
- 14-inch blade makes it an ideal multipurpose bread-cutting knife for homes.
- The blade can easily resist the corrosion and stains that may affect the life of the blade.
- The handle of the knife is designed carefully so that it can easily provide the movement to the blade make the user feel comfortable while holding such a big knife.
10. Chicago Cutlery Walnut Tradition High-Carbon Blade Serrated Bread Knife
If you are looking forward to buy a traditional bread knife that does not look fancy at all, but does the job of slicing up the bread, then you should look no further than the Chicago Cutlery Walnut Tradition High-Carbon Blade Serrated Bread Knife.
- Solid handle to give the knife a nice feel and hold
- Traditional design makes bread cutting a lot easier and fast
- High carbon steel blade is meant to last for years. And you will not have to spend a lot of money to keep it clean and sharp
How To Choose The Right Bread Knife
Are you a bread lover planning to get a bread knife? Then you should consider the factors listed below to get the best bread knives
Length – Knives come with different lengths and shape, however, the shape does not matter. Nevertheless, the length of the knife is very important. What if the length of the knife is shorter than the bread loaf itself, would you be able to cut the bread evenly? No, right, this is why it is very important that you check the specification and make sure that the bread knife you purchase is longer than the bread loaf itself.
Flexibility – Most of the people would consider purchasing a knife that is strong and solid. However, this is appropriate, as the knife would be used to cut tough material especially food material and it demands solid immovable knives. Nevertheless, in the case of bread knives, it is just the opposite. You should consider purchasing a flexible knife only, it does not mean that solid knives are worthless, but it is best recommended that you select a flexible knife instead of a solid knife.
Type of serration – Knives come with different type of serration and each type of serration has its own advantages and disadvantages. Few of the common serration found on bread knives includes small teeth serration, scalloped and large teeth serration. Small teeth serration helps to cut easily through the crust but the cut will not be clean, large teeth serration could bust through the crust with ease, but will make a mess on softer cakes. On the other hand, Scalloped knives are best efficient for cutting bread, however, if you plan on using the knife on cakes, it wouldn’t be a good choice.
Type of steel
- High carbon steel – Once sharpened, this knife could stay sharp for a very long time. But, this type of steel is not dishwasher safe and could prove inefficient as it discolors and rust after a few uses
- Stainless steel – this type of steel is dishwasher safe and but, the sharpness will not last long enough when compared to high carbon steel
- High carbon stainless steel – this is the best bread knife steel, it delivers the features found in both stainless steel and high carbon steel.
Type of handle – Knives come with different type of handles, not all handles are same to use. Each user will have their own preference, however, each handle has their own advantages and disadvantages. Wood, Polypropylene, steel, and plastic are the top handle material available these days. We recommend you go for wooden or steel handles as wooden handles offer a traditional feel and grip, on the other hand, steel handles, are easy to clean and do not break easily.
Bread Knife Clean & Caring Instructions
Cleaning the bread knife is easy. Nevertheless, you should know a few things.
- Use the knife properly
- Do not use the bread knife to cut tough materials
- Bread knives are specially designed for cutting bread and it should not be used for any other purpose, not even cutting vegetable
- Always consider using a wooden or plastic cutting board while using a bread knife
Here is how to clean the bread knife
Step 1: after using the knife wash it using warm water and wipe it clean and dry
Step 2: after cleaning, remember to oil the knife. Apply the oil using a soft cloth. Oiling the knife will help to prevent the knife material from coming in contact with moisture
Step 3: Once you have completed the above mentioned steps then you should store the knife in a place with least moisture and remember not to store the knife with other utensils. Always store the knives somewhere alone.
How to Use a Bread Knife?
Loaves shape of the bread is widely popular around the world and known for the poor cutting experience. Most people don’t know how to cut bread in pieces without ruining the shape. Everyone knows that there is a different kind of bread knife but it is still a mystery to use that knife in an effective manner. If you want to cut bread with a knife then follow the basic steps mentioned below –
Choosing the Right Serrated Knife – Plenty of brands are offering bread knife of a different style. No doubt that choosing the right one will ease the work and let you have a find bread cutting experience. Choose bread knife with a sharp blade, scalloped edges and long blade so that it becomes easy to cut any shape or size.
Go for Inexpensive Blades – Buying serrated blades can increase your expenses because their maintenance cost is high and they require expensivelabors also. Due to this reason, you should prefer inexpensive blades. Make sure that you change the knife once in a year for a better experience.
Start With a wooden Cutting Board –Using a wooden cutting board will give you an ideal experience and you can place large bread with ease. Loaves of bread should be cool during the hour of cutting so that it cut into fine pieces. Cooling to the room temperature can help to have a perfect cut.
Hold The Bread – Gently hold the bread with non-dominating hand so that you can use dominating hand to use a knife. Holding the knife tightly and having a proper grip will let you gain motion when you want to apply little force on it.
Use Sawing Motion – Place the knife blade on bread and hold the bread with another hand. Pull the blade toward your side and then go to the opposite side with a little pressure in a downward direction. Take your time and cut it comfortably. Do not cut with strength, using the sawing motion is necessary for the perfect shape.
When you are cutting the bread, you should utilize the whole length of the blade and keep sawing until you reach the bottom part of it. Some experts suggest flipping the bread as you have to put the bottom side in your direction and start cutting it. This will take less time and give you the finest cut. After that, you can remove the slice of bread and head over to the next slice.
Bread Knife Other Uses
Do you want to know the uses of your bread knife furthermore? Let’s explore other uses of a bread knife with the help of the following paragraphs:
Slice tomatoes with a bread knife
First of all, you need to know that you can use your bread knife for slicing the tomatoes. You might have used your bread knife for slicing the pieces of bread but you would love to use the same tool for slicing the tomatoes. Therefore, this becomes a significant use of a bread knife.
Break the blocks of chocolate into smaller bits
On the other hand, you can talk about the working of a bread knife when it comes to breaking the blocks of chocolate into smaller bits. When you try to break the blocks of chocolate into smaller pieces, you might face a lot of problems. However, the professionals recommend you to use a bread knife which has the required sharpness to cut and break the blocks of chocolates
Slice off a melon’s top and bottom
You can use your bread knife for slicing a melon before cutting it into pieces. For slicing off a melon’s top and bottom part, you can use your bread knife without asking anyone else. This can become yet another unique but important use of your bread knife.
Cut through the spiky skin of pineapples
We all know how difficult it is to cut through the spiky skin of the pineapples. Nevertheless, you can start using your bread knife whenever it comes to cutting through the spiky skin of pineapples. This is yet another excellent use of your bread knife that you may want to know now.
It works for cutting cakes
In the ending part, you need to know that you can use your bread knife to cut the cakes. Hopefully, you have understood this important benefit of your bread knife.
If you are a bread lover and want to have a perfect bread slice toast or sandwich in the breakfast, then I would suggest you have a look at the above-listed option available in the market and choose the one that satisfies you, and falls in your budget.
One thing that you can be sure of by choosing any of these bread knives is that you are going to have a perfect bread slice every single time. So, click on the links and choose the one that suits you the most.
If you’re still confused on how to use your knife perfectly, do check out our newest article here.