Rolling Pins are an integral part of cooking. If you believe that rolling pins are restricted to commercial kitchens then you are wrong. You will find it almost any place in the world as they offer a lot of flexibility while baking. You will come across various types of a rolling pin and you will come across rolling pin which are made of marble or even stainless steel. It can be a tough job to choose the right rolling pin.
If you are planning to purchase a rolling pin for your kitchen then do not proceed with the buy until you check out these 10 best buy rolling pins available in the market.
Before we jump on to the list, we will tell you about the types of the rolling pin as this will make it easy for you to choose the right product.
Different Type of Rolling Pins
Table of Contents
There are mainly three types of rolling pin that are available in the market. Here is more information regarding the same
- Roller – This is one of the most common and simple designs They have a solid cylinder with small handles on the sides. You will find these rolling pins with a bearing which will help you in rotating the rolling pin on its axis.
- Rod – These types of the rolling pin are similar to the roller ones but without handle and without bearings. They are a simple rod which can be used with just one hand as well. They are easy to use and you will find the rod type rolling pin made of metal and steel.
- Textured – These are the last type of rolling pin on our list and they come with a textured surface which leaves the texture on the dough as well. They are used while baking bread and making pastries and other such desserts.
These are the best rated rolling pins available in 2020
Best Buy Rolling Pins for Baking Reviews 2020
1. Joseph Joseph 20085 Adjustable Rolling Pin
The first product on our list is from Joseph Joseph and this rolling pin is quite unique in terms of design. The rolling pin helps you in flattening the dough as per the required size and thickness. You can use this rolling pin to make pizzas, cookies, pie crusts and even tarts. Talking about the size, the rolling pin has a diameter of 2.5 inches and the length of the pin is rolling pin. The material used here is beech wood.
What makes this design unique is the presence of plastic rings on the rolling pin. There are a lot of markings on the rolling pin which signifies the size of the sheet that you are rolling. These plastic rings can be adjusted to a required size so as to get the desired thickness. The main advantage of this is that you get the uniform thickness every time. With the rolling pin, you get 4 plastic rings which can help you in getting a thickness of 2 mm, 4 mm, 6 mm and 10 mm.
- Comes with screw plastic discs to adjust the thickness of the dough.
- Has length printed on the rolling pin
- Made of good quality wood
2. Professional French Rolling Pin
Some people prefer wooden rolling pin while some prefer plastic rolling pin. There are also many people who prefer a metal rolling pin. If you are among the people who love metal rolling pin then you can purchase this without a doubt. This rolling pin is made of stainless steel and the surface of the rolling pin is totally non-porous. The design of this rolling pin is quite amazing as you can easily adjust the pressure and everything works on the basis of the feedback.
If you are worried about the dough working warm quickly then the advantage of this rolling pin is that you can freeze it and while rolling the dough, the stainless steel rolling pin will regulate the temperature for you. Another advantage of this rolling pin is that it doesn’t absorbodour and it doesn’t appear to be discoloured with time. It is also very easy to clean. In terms of the length, the rolling pin has a length of 15.75 inches and the diameter is 1.5 inches. The brand also offers 1 year warranty on this rolling pin
- Made of 100% stainless steel.
- Easy to clean and easy to use
- Can be frozen to ensure that the temperature of dough remains low
- Can be used to decorate the cake with fondant.
3. Fox Run 3834 Marble Rolling Pin
This is the end of the search for the people who wish to buy a marble rolling pin. This product from Fox Run is absolutely amazing and it is made of marble which looks elegant and performs well. The length of the marble barrel of the rolling pin is 10 inches and the diameter is 2.75 inches. In addition to this, the total length of the rolling pin along with the handles is 18 inches. The rolling pin has a heavyweight so you do not have to put a lot of pressure either.
Apart from the details mentioned above, you must know that the rolling pin has nylon roll bearings which makes it easy for you to use the rolling pin. This marble rolling pin can also keep the dough cool for the time when you are rolling the dough as the rolling pin can be easily chilled by putting it in the freezer. This product is also very easy to clean
- Made of Marble and is completely non-stick
- Come with nylon roll bearings
- Has wooden handles
- Easy to clean
4. Good Cook Classic Wooden Rolling Pin
If you are planning to bake something occasionally and if you do not wish to invest a lot of money on rolling pins then this can be the perfect one for you. This is a very basic rolling pin from the good cook and it is made of hardwood. This rolling pin features a barrel construction and the good part about the rolling pin is that it has nylon bearings which make it very easy for you to roll the rolling pin. You can be assured about the quality of the product as it is manufactured in the USA.
The length of the rolling pin is 18 inches and the diameter is 2.5 inches. This rolling pin is also very easy to store and you can clean it easily with a regular hand wash.
- Very affordable and easy to use
- Made of hardwood and comes with bearings.
- Overall a simple design
5. Bamber Wood Rolling Pin
Moving on to the next product on our list, it is from Bamber and this rolling pin comes without handles. It is similar to the stainless steel rolling pin that you would have seen in the section above but the difference is that it is made of wood. The advantage of choosing this rolling pin is that it is available in three different sizes which are Medium, Mini and Standard. These products from Bamber are an example of incredible craftsmanship and in addition to this, you can also you get a lot of utility from these rolling pin.
The rolling pin is burnished properly so you would not face any quality issue. There are no gaps or dents in the rolling pin. The wood used here is also very premium in quality which also enhances the overall quality of the product. The length of this rolling pin is 17.3 inches and it comes with a diameter of 1.6 inches. You can check out the other sizes and models from the same manufacturer.
- Made of solid wood
- Special attention to burnishing and other manufacturing processes
- Comes in different sizes and models
6. K BASIX Rolling Pin – Classic Wood
If you are looking for a rolling pin that is made of high-quality hardwood then you can have a look at this product from K Basix. This rolling pin is made of hardwood which is very durable. The advantage of the material here is that it is moisture resistant which basically increases the life of the rolling pin. Considering other parts of the product, it comes with a wooden grip and many of the professional dough rollers use this product. The rolling pin also has roller bearings to make it easy to use the product.
Talking about the size, the rolling pin has a diameter of 2.2 inches and it has a length of 16.5 inches. The company claims that you get a lifetime warranty on this product. You can use this rolling pin for making a variety of dishes and that includes various Italian as well as Indian dishes. You can use it to make the dough for anything that you are planning to bake as well.
- Made of high-quality solid wood
- Comes with an ergonomic handle and roll bearings
- Easy to use and easy to clean.
7. Farberware Classic Wood Rolling Pin
This is another rolling pin on our list that is made of hardwood. The rolling pin is also very affordable without any compromises on quality. It is known that the rolling pin from Farberware is very durable and it also has a comfortable grip which helps you with smooth rolling. It is certainly an essential tool in every kitchen. It has more utility for Italian and Indian families as they often use a rolling pin to make flatbreads and chapattis. Apart from this, you can use this rolling pin to prepare pasta sheet, pizza dough, cookies, tarts and a lot more.
Getting into more details, it is also very easy to clean the rolling pin as it just needs a simple hand wash. You do not have to put this in the dishwasher or go through any complicated process, simply wash it under running water and use a damp cloth to clean it. The length of this rolling pin is 17.7 inches and the diameter is 2.5 inches.
- Affordable and simple design
- Comes with an ergonomic grip and roll bearings
- Easy to clean
8. The Original Kitchen Cooperative French Rolling Pin
If you look at the original design of the French rolling pin then you will notice that most of them tapered at the ends. This makes it easy for the user to prepare the dough. If you are also looking for a similar design for the rolling pin then this could be the perfect product for you as this French rolling pin comes with tapered ends. The design helps the user in getting better control and at the same time, the design also helps you in getting the right feedback.
The length of this rolling pin is 18 inches and it is perfect to roll even large pizzas. You can purchase this and you will be able to create delicious dishes with help of this rolling pin. As per the information available, the manufacturer offers a lifetime warranty against any manufacturing defects on this product.
- The tapered design offers a lot of flexibility
- Made of hardwood
- Has a length of 18 inches
9. Checkered Chef Stainless Steel French Rolling Pin
On number 9, we have another product that comes with stainless steel design. This is not expensive and the price is equal to the rolling pin which is made of wood. The stainless steel design is manufactured under strict quality control principles and the design is also non-porous. The rolling pin has no handle and it offers you optimal control. You get the right feedback which helps you in applying the right pressure.
Also, the size of the rolling pin is 15.75 inches which makes it easy to roll a good amount of dough at once. It is of great advantage when you are preparing the pasta sheets or the cookies. Apart from that, the size also makes it easy to make pizza dough. You can even freeze the rolling pin and this would help you in keeping the temperature of dough low.
- Made of stainless steel
- Size of the rolling pin is 40 cm
- Easy to clean and can also be frozen while cooking.
10. Ebuns French Rolling Pin
This is yet another French rolling pin in our list which comes with tapered ends. The rolling pin has a size of 18 inches and it is also very easy to store. As per the information made available by the manufacturer, the rolling pin has a waxed barrel finish and it is also easy to cook owing to the tapered edges. This rolling pin is very long lasting and you would not face any quality issues as well.
It is known that the rolling pin needs to be hand washed. Since this is made of hardwood, you can put it in the dishwasher and hence the cleaning can be done via damp cloth and a soft brush. The circumference of the rolling pin varies from 5 inches to 3.5 inches depending on the place where you are checking.
- Made with solid wood and has tapered design
- Easy to clean
- Comes with a recipe book
- Easy to store.
How to Choose a Rolling Pin for Your Kitchen
If you are still not sure about which product to buy then you must look at this buying guide which will help you in selecting the rolling pin. Here are the factors that you need to consider while buying a rolling pin.
Type – Choose the type of rolling pin that you want. We have listed the types of a rolling pin in the section above and this should help you in making the choice that you need. We would recommend you to opt for rolling or rod type.
Material – Next thing that you need to choose is the material that the rolling pin is made of. If you want something traditional then you can choose the wooden ones. If you want something modern then you can purchase the ones made of marble, glass or even stainless steel.
Length and Diameter – You also need to check the length and the diameter of the rolling pin. You will come across some models that offer you the flexibility to get the right thickness of the dough. This is an added feature and you can go ahead and choose rolling pin with this feature.
Non-Stick Material – Ensure that the rolling pin is made of a non-stick material. This is really required if you are using a wooden rolling pin. Most of the rolling pin made of glass, metal or marble are non-stick.
Handle of a rolling pin – You need to check the design of the handle. If you are buying the rod type rolling pin then you can opt for something that has tapered ends. Else, choose the rolling pin that has an ergonomically designed handle.
Ease of Cleaning – The fact is that the wooden rolling pin can’t be cleaned with the help of the dishwasher. If this is a criteria to consider for you then opt for anything apart from the wooden rolling pin.
Cost and Review – Ensure that the rolling pin fits into your budget and at the same time, ensure that the product has positive reviews. You can check the reviews of the rolling pin on Amazon as the reviews are shared by the actual users of the product.
Rolling Pin Clean & Caring Instructions
It is quite easy to clean the rolling pin. Here are some of the tips that you can follow:
=> If you are using a wooden rolling pin then you must not put it in the dishwasher. You can only hand wash them and you need to dry them as soon as you wash it.
=> Scrub the rolling pin with help of the soft brush. This will help you in removing the residual dough. You can even use a soft plastic scraper to remove the residue.
=> It is not necessary to season the rolling pin with the oil but you can do this once in a while as well. This is only applicable for a wooden rolling pin.
=> For the rolling pin that is made of marble, glass or stainless steel, you can clean them in the dishwasher as well but do not scrub them with anything abrasive.
=> Also, do not put the wooden rolling pin in the fridge or freezer. The moisture can destroy the rolling pin.
=> The rolling pin which comes with a bearing needs to be dried immediately or else some of the moving parts may get damaged.
How to Use a Rolling Pin Properly
If you do not know how to use the rolling pin then do not worry and follow the steps listed below to use the rolling pin properly
=> You must have the dry flour with you and to start the process, sprinkle the dry flour on the table and also coat the rolling pin with the dry flour. Take the required amount of dough in a spherical shape and put it on the surface
=> Flatten the dough using the rolling pin and apple just enough pressure. While pushing downwards, roll the rolling pin back and forward. Do not apply a lot of pressure.
=> Rotate the dough and repeat the procedure once again. Keep rotating the dough and keep flattening it until you get the desired size and shape. Flip the dough periodically
=> If your rolling pin is heavy then consider the force that you are applying. Also, take care of the fact that the dough should not stick to the rolling pin. If it starts to stick then sprinkle the flour once again.
Marble rolling pin Vs. Wood Vs. Stainless steel: Which Is Better?
It is seen that marble pins or the wooden pins or even the stainless steel ones are a very useful product that is found in the present market. However, there exists a huge difference between the two. In the next few lines we will try to reveal the basic ones. It will make the whole thing clear and easier for the people.
- Marble pins are found to be less convenient in comparison with the wooden or steel ones. It may happen that the stainless steel products may slip from the hand and so they cannot get the possible grip on the hand.
- The other thing that has been noticed is that marble pins are much heavier than the wooden or the steel ones. Most of the marble pins are so heavy that it becomes quite tough for the users to handle the product. If it becomes tough to handle it cannot be moved over the dough. As a result the user cannot get the exact shape of the roti or the chapatti.
- Wooden pins are found to be very easily handled by the user. They are light-weighted and can be easily handled by the rot maker. The stainless steel pins may not be sometimes suitable for making rotis.
- Many times it is seen that wooden pins are durable in nature in comparison with the steel or marble ones. They can run for a long time without any issues. The more they are used the more they become easier to be hold by the user. Most of the wooden pins are made of good-quality woods so that it can be used for a long time by them.
- Most of the wooden pins have ball points on both the sides of the pin. This is not present with the steel and marble ones. They are perfectly straight from both the sides. The round shaped balls provide good grip to the people who use it. This is not the case with the marble or the steel pins.
- However, the main disadvantage that is found while using the wooden pin is that they are sticky in nature. Sometimes the dough gets stick to it. But this is not the case with the marble or the steel ones. They are not at all sticky and the dough remains quite smooth for a long time so that the user can move it freely.
Thus it can be well assumed from the whole discussion that there are both advantages and disadvantages of all the three ones but the main thing depends upon the user. It is upon the user who will handle it.
We have listed the best rolling pins available in the market. Along with the best products we have also listed a buying guide. Remember that if you take proper care of your rolling pin then it can easily last a lifetime.
You can go ahead and choose the best rolling pin for yourself but do not forget to check the prices on Amazon as these rolling pins are available at a great discount on Amazon.