Food dehydrator is one of the best things you can ever use to preserve the food. These are the modern-day equipment that not only helps to keep the food fresh during the off season and also keeps them in an eatable state for the long haul. Most of us are well known for food dehydrators. It’s simply something that helps to clear out the excess moisture from the food. It features a heating element that helps to combine proper airflow to help clear the moisture from the food. That way foods are preserved for a long haul.
Removing that excess moisture from the food helps to preserve the food and help protect it against the bacteria. That way there will be no rotting of the food. This way food can be safe to consume for long. Foods that come in rich in the water content needs to be kept dehydrated so as to maintain the moisture in them. Otherwise, foods like fruits, vegetables and more tend to get damaged and dehydrated making it unsafe for eating. A food dehydrator helps to maintain the perfect eatable condition on the food so that you can enjoy it for long.
There are plenty of food dehydrators available in the market and all tend to come at different price levels. They are based on different features and functions. These tend to come in different sizes and models too. We here will look to classify them accordingly into our list of best food dehydrators available in the market. We will list them accordingly based on our parameters and test.
Features To Consider When Buying a Food Dehydrator
There are quite a few factors you need to take into consideration while going for a food dehydrator. We here will look to classify them down for you so that you can have a proper idea of how to buy a food dehydrator. Let’s get down to them.
a) How does a food dehydrator work?
First things first, you need to know how food dehydrator functions so as to find out more about it. The working mechanism of the food dehydrator is very simple and doesn’t require much of rocket science. All you need to do is make a provision where you can intake the cool air from the surroundings and use it to help the food remain good. The heating element in the machine helps to heat the air which is then spread across the device from the air vent which helps to maintain the moisture content in it. These simultaneous working of the moisture will help to keep the food from degrading and keep your food perfectly dry and crispy. The major factors towards the workings of the food dehydrator are these all. Temperature plays a major role in the food and its dehydration. It is an important factor as foods take a whole lot of time during the winter or chilly weather to dehydrate while it takes a lot less time during the warm weather.
b) How dehydrating the foods helps you out?
There are a host of questions that we tend to think of when going for a food dehydrator. How would a food dehydrator work and what are the benefits of getting one for yourself? Well, we here will list them down for you in our list down below. Read along.
- As dehydration keeps the food safe so you won’t have to go for the preservatives to maintain the flavor or anything in it.
- Once the foods are dehydrated and get dry then they shrink in size quite a lot. It makes quite easy for you to store the foods now that they have become smaller in size.
- Getting a dehydrator might seem like a big investment at first but if you look closely and count the metrics, then getting it is a safer and cheaper option than going for dehydrated food every single time from the store.
The freshness of the food
- Foods one they are dehydrated tend to have a safer and fresher taste to it than the one that is made out in the supermarket with the preservatives and chills. This way the food remains safe for a long haul.
- Dehydrators tend to remove the water content from the food and that there will be no breakage of bacteria, yeast or any of the mold and fungi. That way you can enjoy a meal that is safe from any of microorganisms.
Versatile in nature
- Food dehydrators are pretty versatile in nature as they tend to help you not only dry the normal meals but also the likes of dry herbs, flowers, food for your pet and much more. All you need to do is set it to a temperature and then see it being dehydrated.
- The one major benefit working for food dehydrators is the way they are portable to use for. They are pretty small in size and thus can be moved from one place to another. All it requires is just merely shift it with the help of one person or two.
c) What kind of foods can you dehydrate?
You can dehydrate almost all kinds of foods that have good moisture content in it. Whether it’s a fruit or a vegetable or herbs or even meat or jerky, you can use the food dehydrator to dry them out. And not just that you can also dry the flowers of art and craft to make them a dehydrated one.
d) Final line
Once you have a brief idea about what type of food you want to dehydrate and why you want to do it, then it will all be a breeze for you. You would also know the working mechanism and that helps you to have a better idea against the dehydrating mechanism and find the best piece befitting your needs.
Best Buy Food Dehydrator Reviews 2020
Now listed down below are the best food dehydrators that are picked among the plethora of options available in the market. These food dehydrators feature some of the best quality and incredible performance you can get for. These are also offerings of top brands that make them a worthwhile choice to have for. Let’s have a look at these.
1. COSORI Premium Food Dehydrator Machine (50 Free Recipes)
Having been designed by Cosori in California this one comes with 6 stainless steel trays supported by a mesh screen and a fruit roll sheet. It is a completely stainless steel piece and is made out of food-grade quality. It has a glass-based front door which helps to showcase the foods that are being dehydrated inside. It has an easy to use control panel and features a digital control panel where you can set the timer in accordance with the 30-minute timer for a period of up to 48 hours. It features well support for accurate temperature from 95-degree to 165 degrees. This food dehydrator is pretty silent and has a quiet working mechanism that will not disturb you to use for. It also has an easy to store and clean system which is also dishwasher safe to clean for. It comes with 2 years of warranty and also a 90-day money-back guarantee against any issues. They also have a dedicated customer service that will help you out at all times.
- Features a stainless steel body with six stainless steel trays
- Glass based front door for viewing
- Digital control panel for easy and precise control of functioning
- 2 years of warranty
2. Excalibur 3926TB 9-Tray Electric Food Dehydrator with Temperature Settings
This Excalibur food dehydrator is one of the best ones you can find around in the market. With a 9-tray electric food-based dehydrator tray and more, this one comes with an impressive 15 sqft of drying space for foods in total. It has an adjustable thermostat that helps to base the temperature from 105-degrees to 165 degrees. The temperature setting on this one allows it to have enough of the active preservation of the enzymes in fruits and vegetables. Its temperature range is also based on the safety standards so its something that will keep the food safe to use for. It comes with an on/off switch and has an adjustable thermostat that comes with a 26-hour timer. Adhering to its large size, this one is perfectly suited for people who have large gardens, families, and gatherings. It also comes with a flexible poly screen that helps to keep the food from sticking to the surface. It comes with a 7-inch fan that allows for an increased level of air circulation.
- It comes with a large 9-tray food dehydration space
- It has an adjustable thermostat with a range of 105-degree to 165-degree.
- It comes with a 26-hour time
- Paired with a 7-inch fan, this one helps to circulate the air around.
3. NESCO FD-75A, Snackmaster Pro Food Dehydrator
Now at third in the list is the one from Nesco with its FD-75A model. This one is a pro food dehydrator and helps to dehydrate the foods with high quality. It features an adjustable thermostat that helps to keep the food between the desired temperature from 95-degrees to 160-degrees. It has a powerful top-mounted fan that comes with a 600-watts of drying power. There’s 5-trays with this piece and comes with an option to expand it to 12 trays. It also has an opaque vita-save exterior that helps to keep the harmful rays and light on the outside and helps to preserve the content of the food. It has a patented Converga-flow based mechanism that helps to keep the food chamber from extra pressurizing and helps them to retain the nutrition. It also has a hot air forcing mechanism which converges with the core to help have a nutritious based drying.
- It comes with an adjustable thermostat that keeps food at the nutrition level.
- It has a powerful fan that helps in the drying of moisture.
- Features an Opaque Vita-Save based exterior.
- Has a patented Converga-flow drying based system.
4. Presto 06300 Dehydro Electric Food Dehydrator
At fourth in our list is the one from Presto with its imported electric food dehydrator. This one comes with a four-tray system and is one of the most preferred pieces commercially. This comes with a see-through cover and has a bottom-mounted fan along with a heating element. This one sees a consistent airflow with it allowing it to have an optimum drying. It also features fully immiscible and dishwasher safe based trays which can help to have a compact storage and safety. It also has cord stores in the base and has four drying trays along with an expandable capacity for eight trays. The dehydrator comes with a preset temperature that can run till the temperature of 165-degree which helps you to change the temperature accordingly and have a look at the type of food you want to dehydrate.
- It comes with four tray system and has an expansion option for eight trays
- It sports a consistent airflow system.
- It is fully immiscible and dishwasher safe.
- The preset temperature of up to 165-degree
5. Hamilton Beach 32100A Digital Food Dehydrator
This brand next up on our list is one of the top-selling brands in the market when it comes to food dehydrators. This one comes across as one of the machines with an auto shut-off option and also has a clear lid that helps you to know the status of the food pretty easily. It also has a digital-based adjustable thermostat that helps in adjusting the temperature and has a range of 100-160 degree F. It has a continuous airflow and features five stackable racks that can place an optimum quantity of foods. It has a powerful mechanism of 500 watts power which gives it a good leeway for performance. It is entrusted with further one fine-mesh sheet that can help dry the small foods like herbs and also make the fruit rolls making this one a great choice for yourself and family.
- It comes with an auto shut-off option.
- It has a clear lid and an adjustable digital thermostat.
- It comes with five stackable racks for use.
- It can help dry herbs with its fine mesh sheet and also herbs.
6. NESCO FD-37A, Food Dehydrator, White Speckled/Marbled
Making another entry into the list is Nesco with another of its impressive food dehydrator. This one comes across as a great piece of food dehydrator all thanks to its impressive performance skills and features. It has a 7 tray design which is expandable and comes with a clear top that helps to monitor any of the process ongoing inside. It also has a fan-based airflow measure where no tray rotation is required. The machine is further shipped in a certified frustration-free packaging which means it will reach out in a safe state to its owner. It has 400 watts of drying power to it.
- It comes with 7-tray based design.
- It has a clear top allowing easy access and monitor of the process.
- It comes with fan-based air flow negating the need for tray rotation.
- It comes packed in certified frustration-free packaging.
7. Food Dehydrator Machine, Digital Timer, and Temperature Control
Now next up we have the one with an updated feature list which proves great to use for. This one is designed with 8 trays and has 400 watts of power meaning with more drying space it also comes with a quick-drying option. It comes with a time of 72 hours and also has adjustable temperature option that can range from 95-158 degree F. It sports an LCD digital temperature and has an easy to perform based setting which can help you dehydrate different fruits and foods to perfection. With the design featuring a bottom-mounted fan and having a heating element, this one maintains constant airflow allowing the vegetables and fruits to get crisp and perfect. It does not require any sort of tray rotation due to its impressive design mechanism.
- It comes with impressive 8 trays and has 400 watts of power.
- It features an LCD digital temperature display and has a different setting option.
- It has a bottom-mounted fan which makes sure no tray rotation is required.
- It comes with an adjustable temperature setting.
8. Electric Food Dehydrator Machine, Professional Multi-Tier Kitchen Food Appliances
Next up we have one of the professional options around with this pro food dehydrator. One of the major selling lines of the item, this one comes with a multi-tier setting and has easy access and operational mechanism. All you have to do is simply click on the button and then your dehydration process will start. It has a temperature control system where you can reach 180 degrees F on it. It comes with 5 removable trays that can be removed and stacked as dryer trays. It also comes with a high heat circulation that helps to maintain the heat in each of the trays with equal tempo and help maintain the food and its nutrient intact without hampering any of the moisture content. This way more than 97% of the moisture will be retained and the food will remain healthy to eat.
- It comes with a multi-tier tray that can be used as dryer trays.
- It has an adjustable temperature setting
- It has high heat circulation.
- It helps keep 97% of the moisture intact.
9. Gourmia GFD1680 Premium Countertop Food Dehydrator – 6 Drying Shelves
Now we have another one of the visually appealing food dehydrators that is sure to win the hearts of yours. It comes with an impressive bit of design pattern and has a creative bit to it. It features 6 trays that help provide plenty of room for the food to get dehydrated. It comes along with a bonus leather sheet and also a drip tray which helps to make plenty of dishes. It has a 360-degree based circulation and comes with precise and simple control that helps activate the airflow circulation to it. There’s also a transparent door to it to help provide a clear glance to the sheets and make sure that the food inside is at the optimum temperature. It also gets a Tell certified status which makes sure that this one is a BPA free piece and is one of the highest quality pieces you can get around. It helps maintain the food moisture and nutrition at the best possible rate giving you longer shelf life and performance to enjoy your food.
- It has a visually appealing design.
- It comes with an impressive design set and has 6 trays for food dehydration.
- It features a transparent door to it allowing for a proper view of the trays.
- It comes with BPA free material and has a Tell certification.
10. Food Dehydrator Machine for Jerky Meat Fruit Vegetable Beef, BPA Free, Digital Timer
Rounding up our list is the one with one of the best features and performance metrics around. This one comes with food-grade material and has a safety auto shut-off option. It comes with BPA free plastic and makes sure that the food and everything is safe to the core. It features temperature control with an LCD viewing where the preset can be done for the temperature setting from 95-degree to 158-degree F. This way you can do plenty of foods at different temperatures. It also helps to have an easy to use option because of its design. It sports 5 trays and has dishwasher safe washable option. It is designed with a transparent door that helps to control the process without affecting the functioning. It has a nutrition base and preservative-free build which allows for a fresh and healthy food outing for your food whilst maintaining great dehydrated food for longer shelf life.
- It is BPA free and food safe
- It is absolutely dishwasher safe
- It has a temperature control system with LCD integration.
- It comes with 5 trays and has a transparent door to it.
A Beginner’s Guide to Dehydrating Food: Tips & Tricks
Although we all get happy seeing a food dehydrator and the world of possibilities with it. But merely having a food dehydrator isn’t all enough. You also need to have a clear idea about how to use it to your liking. This is where many people miss the trick. We here will look to provide know-how on those top tips and tricks that can be used along to help you have a better hand at dehydrating the food. Let’s read along.
- Make sure it is the right temperature
Always make sure that the dehydrator is at the right temperature before going for it. Food dehydrators come along with the general time and temperature based guidelines to having a look at that will surely give you plenty of ideas to choose from. Choose the food and the specific temperature setting that you should have and you’ll be good to go.
- Make sure that the food is 95% dehydrated
Always keep in mind that the food to be stored properly needs to have been dehydrated well. You need to have the food at least 95% dehydrated and only then you can rave about the food is safe and long-lasting. If your food feels like soft or even sticky or spongy then put it back in and let it dehydrate for an additional time. This way the food will get dehydrated and it will turn out good. Also keep the indoor humidity and air conditioning at the optimum level so that the dehydrator is not obstructed for. Also keep the machine at a dry place so that no moisture and humidity content can make it regressive.
- Don’t go too fast
We strongly advise you that you don’t try to go super fast with the dehydration thing. Going that way will mean that you will ruin the food by giving them a boost of high temperature at once. Always maintain an optimum temperature and let the foods dry at their pace. Let the moisture take out and the food is at the best of the looks for going for dehydration in the machine.
- Prepare well
Before you even go for the dehydration thing always make sure that you all get prepared well for it. Wash the stuff and then set it aside. You can use the anti-bacterial vegetable cleaner and use it on your food. You can also go for the gloves so that you don’t get all oily on your skin. Always try to steam the low acid vegetables for at least 10 minutes before you go for dehydration. Also sprinkle bananas and apples with lemon juice so that they don’t get brown while dehydrating and maintains that glossy look to it.
- Be efficient
Just as we often use an oven, we also need to be efficient with the dehydrator. Having a dehydrator can mean that you can have the option of often degrading the efficiency. So this is where you should take care of. Always turn on the dehydrator before using it so that it gets to the required temperature before adding the food. Then add the food at the same temperature and dehydrate them. This way food will get dehydrated and will give the best results which you can enjoy for a long period of time.
The Dos and Don’ts of Using a Food Dehydrator
Next up we have the do’s and the don’ts while using the food dehydrator. Having a clear idea about this one will help you have a better idea of using it.
- Evenly distribute the slices of food so that it gets reached out in the tray and all the food gets dehydrated at a nice pace.
- Sporadically inspect the process of dehydration so that you can rest assured of the performance of it.
- Always remember that the items nearby to the fan will get dried out quickly so be wise enough to look at it.
- Carefully dry out the food and let it cool down and reach to the room temperature before you place it in an airtight container. This way you can get the best results.
- Clean the dehydrator after using it as that will help keep the machine clean and increase its life.
- Try out different dishes and recipes and be clear about them.
- Dry similar kinds of food together in a batch.
- Do your bit of research for all the types of food that you want to dehydrate.
- Label the foods after dehydration for a proper acknowledgment of the date.
- Never use a microwave oven to dry out the food. Always use a dehydrator to dry the foods.
- Monitor the age of the foods and don’t place it if they are outdated.
- Never attempt to run the race and do the fast dehydration of food.
- Never leave the dehydrator with moisture and spillage as it can damage the mechanism.
Food dehydrators are one of the best modern-day equipment ever. Most of our foods tend to go sour or get destroyed as a result of poor maintenance and storage. This is where the food dehydrators can help you out. With the option to dehydrate the foods and have a longer shelf life where the nutrition is at its best, it is always beneficial to human life. With science making inroads, we’ve already seemed major hurdles being cleared and more of innovation coming into. With that said, food dehydrators are at their best stage and these days they tend to aesthetically please too. With the market filled with so many choices, we thought of lining out the best of the lot and we hope you like the piece. We hope that this detailed review, buying guide, tips and tricks and the do’s and don’ts help you out for your search for best food dehydrators.
Table of Contents
- Best Buy Food Dehydrator Reviews 2020
- 1. COSORI Premium Food Dehydrator Machine (50 Free Recipes)
- 2. Excalibur 3926TB 9-Tray Electric Food Dehydrator with Temperature Settings
- 3. NESCO FD-75A, Snackmaster Pro Food Dehydrator
- 4. Presto 06300 Dehydro Electric Food Dehydrator
- 5. Hamilton Beach 32100A Digital Food Dehydrator
- 6. NESCO FD-37A, Food Dehydrator, White Speckled/Marbled
- 7. Food Dehydrator Machine, Digital Timer, and Temperature Control
- 8. Electric Food Dehydrator Machine, Professional Multi-Tier Kitchen Food Appliances
- 9. Gourmia GFD1680 Premium Countertop Food Dehydrator – 6 Drying Shelves
- 10. Food Dehydrator Machine for Jerky Meat Fruit Vegetable Beef, BPA Free, Digital Timer
- A Beginner’s Guide to Dehydrating Food: Tips & Tricks
- The Dos and Don’ts of Using a Food Dehydrator